Logic 9 help and guitar amp sim help

webstersp

Let me start by saying that I'm moving from PC to Mac, just waiting on the new Imac. I also do photography with some video and all my friends doing it are on mac and I can't stand pc and windows anymore!

I have been reading a lot on logic pro 9 and ordered Apple Pro Training Series logic 9 yesterday on amazon. I still live in an appartment so no problems with drums since we are using V-Drum with SSD 3.5. and for same thing for vocals but I can't track real amps.I use to record with the Axe Fx Ultra but could not justify the 2500$ cost only using few sounds out of it and sold it.

The type of music we play can sound like story of the year, the used, finch etc..

So I'm looking for something that would give me a good guitar sound (for demo purpose). Anyone tried the Eleven Rack or the new pod HD (bean)?

For the type of music we are playing and what I want to do with Logic 9 do will I have everything I need in plugins or is there something missing ?

I already have a Saffire pro 24 dsp four audio interface, KrK Rokit 5 gp2, GAP pre73, Shure Sm7b and sm58 and I've been using reaper with this for the last 3 months.

I'm looking for any help or any tips you people can give me for the style of musci and Logic 9!

Thanks

The key to finding a good sound using the Amp Modeller is constant tweeking. Tweak the mic positions, amp heads, cabs etc.... till you get the sound needed. For the pedalboard, again there are many different pedals on offer so it's just a case of finding what you need for the sound. Using that and the EQ's and other effects on Logic I can't see why you would need to buy a programme such as Guitar Rig.

Purist vs. practical, and simulation vs. real amp debates aside...

If you combine Amp Designer with a well-trained ear and judicious use of EQ, dynamics, etc. plugins, you should be able to create usable (sometimes fantastic) guitar sounds for any occasion.

As usual, the biggest chunk of sound quality is up to the player's skill.

I've been happy with Guitar Rig, so that's also an option. I think it depends on the quality of sound desired and how much time you're willing to tweak. I CAN get a usable sound fro Amp Designer, but it can take a while to get what I need. I've never found one "out of the box" that would be usable on a demo I'd want someone else to hear. It's not that the sims aren't pretty awesome; they are, but they can take a while to massage into life.

I hope that users will start submitting their patches so we can start sharing our sounds with one another.

There is a huge user library of sounds, mostly user, already established for Guitar Rig, so if you want to be quick about it, and I usually do, I find it helpful.

Thanks

Eric

I'll give them a try then!

It's just that I have read somewhere that they were weak sounding compared to Pod hd, guitar rig etc.

Don't believe everything you read. The Amp Designer models in Logic are really solid, in fact most people I know find them better than Guitar Rig, and definitely just about EVERYBODY I know find them MUCH BETTER than any version of the Line 6 Pod.

Amp Designer actually won Guitar Player's Editor's Pick Award last year:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/apple-logic-pro/November-2010/123587

Thanks David.

I just sold my pc and I'm waiting for the new Imac 27 (using my gf pc right now:P).

Logic 9 looks incredible. I have one question about instalation. i have read that instalation of logic was very long. My pc had 5 hard drives and since Imac usually have only one internal hard drive I'll buy at least 2 external hard drives.

When I'll isntall Logic 9, do you install logic on the internal hard drive and the libraries on an external hard drive?

I have also read about time machine, so if I'm saving my work (in my daw) on my internal HD it will also save it on my exteral HD?

Last question... My sound card is a Saffire pro 24 dsp firewire 400. I want my external hard drive to run as fast as possible (firewire 800, no esata on mac). I don't want to lose any speed or have trouble and click in my sound card. Can I daisy chain? Or should i buy a firewire hub?

Thanks

As a guitarist who uses a lot of different sounds (both hardware and software style amps) I can say that the companies mentioned here: Logic, Native Instruments, Line 6 - all have useable sounds. I'll even say check out Studio Devil, another great amp sim.

These Amp sims will get you most of the way there. To actually get it over the top and sounding/playing/reacting like a real guitar amp one should get some of Red Wirez cabinet IRs. Add a real cabinet with a real mic via a Red Wirez IR and it's the night and day difference that will make any of those Amp sims sound really awesome.

Sorry I've never heard of those cabinet IRs before. So you use them in conjunction with an amp sim? Very intriguing.

There are even a few included with Logic, in Space Designer's warped section (but I forget the sub category). And thousands can be found around the internet for free. You just load one into SD and make the signal all wet (or mix in some dry if you want to experiment). Stick this after the amp sim, and in the amp turn the cab to 'direct'.