Reducing Port Total in Physical Input

Plowman

When I create a Physical Input object in Environment, it has an unseemly number of ports. My only MIDI interface is an MK II with eight ports, and then there's the customary Caps Lock Keyboard port. Is there a way that I can remove the other ports? (Resizing the object doesn't work.)

The ineffable J.K. "That's 'sir' to you" Ski. Alas, I knew ye when you were at a humble 5,000 posts.

And how, Plowman the Simpleton asks, hat in hand, do we remove MIDI drivers? I've got a feeling I mucked up the works when I was fiddling with Plogue and Jack and other work-arounds.

Please, feel not as a simpleton

Think how you'll be overjoyed

When ye bear witness to pathways

And thence, MIDI drivers, destroyed!

Start here:

HD/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/

You might also want to check to see if anything's in your user account as well:

HD/Users/~/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/

HTH! Please post back and let us know if you find unwanted drivers in those folders. And if not, we'll take it to stage 2.

Cheers!

Ski

All this and lyrics too... *sniff* ... we don't deserve support so kind.

I have scoured the noted folders. I am disappointed to find them empty, spare the "EmagicUSBMIDIDriver.plugin". (The MK II Unitor, I assume.)

But I am happy to take this process to Stage II, per your knowledge.

I cannot count the Input Object jokes that have occurred to me. But little dawgies like Boing have big ears.

Here it is, but it doesn't tell us much. No labels. And this is only about half. Perhaps I should pour out the familiar oblations to the usual digital deities (in other words, delete preferences).

535504965_PIPort.thumb.jpg.3d091f36e9a6deb9cff9ddcf1a4fd83b.jpg

Plowman, I really don't understand you. See, most guys with a long physical "device" would be happy to have the chance to boast about it. But nooooooo, you're looking for a bit of a chop. I'm sure that if there are any Logic women (or otherwise inclined personages) in the audience they'd be thinking, "gawd, what a waste!"

Here's what I'd suggest before you go putting the kibosh on the ol' prefs file... Create a new Logic song from the File > New thingy. Compare its size to that of the one in your screenshot. Is it bigger, smaller, or the same? (And fortunately for us, these kinds of assessments are not temperature dependent).

(Below, a series of view showing how the Physical Input's size can be changed by grabbing the little square in the lower right-hand corner and dragging it.)

1480915738_Picture32.jpg.42b7baa028d33ab9068fdb53bb728143.jpg

759116537_Picture26.thumb.jpg.fff13b13f4b871ddc3e592fdd05513d5.jpg

366445622_Picture6.jpg.9950ffde15bb7dce3c02267d4f2fd206.jpg

Just a lil' follow-up... I missed the part where you described the actual named ports in your first post. I thought there were more ports that were actually named on the PI. Still (and on a serious note) your PI does seem longer than usual. Curious to know the results of the test I suggested above.

Also, it's strange that you said that resizing it doesn't work. By chance do you have "protect positions and hide cables" enabled in the song (or songs) that you are experiencing this in?

Hoo. You're making it tough to take the high road here.

And really, are there any Logic women? Sure, they throw themselves at *you* claiming to be Logic women, but that's just a ruse to get comped for your seminar.

Oh, naive Ski, see through their tawdry game. Once they've learned your mastering secrets, you'll be an alias orphaned, leaving you with no click, unable even to beat your own mapping.

Alas, good Logician, I tried the "New" song trick before posting. This over-long, over-ported, er... "Environment Object" shows up even in new songs. And, unlike George Costanza, it does not know about shrinkage. Click-dragging upwards never sticks.

Dr. Bradley, thanks for the link. I do lack the courage. I did note that even with the hack, one poster's screenshot showed an extended... um... "Iconic Representation," laudably renamed but still showing scads of ports with no label.

By the way, I had superficially looked at the Audio MIDI set up, hoping I could find something to delete. No go. I also uninstalled Jack.

You know, if this was 1996, I'd be de-fragging my hard drive about now.

ROFL!

I think Eric nailed it, er, rather, "gets top marks for sussing this out". Must be a higher-rev-than-my-version-of-L9-on-PPC thing that's happening in your system.

And yes, Virginia, there are some Logic women out there. Actual real ones and not those look, smell, and bleat like the real sheep they are.

"I'll get me coat..."

=sKi=

Hoo. You're making it tough to take the high road here.

And really, are there any Logic women? Sure, they throw themselves at *you* claiming to be Logic women, but that's just a ruse to get comped for your seminar.

Oh, naive Ski, see through their tawdry game. Once they've learned your mastering secrets, you'll be an alias orphaned, leaving you with no click, unable even to beat your own mapping.

Alas, good Logician, I tried the "New" song trick before posting. This over-long, over-ported, er... "Environment Object" shows up even in new songs. And, unlike George Costanza, it does not know about shrinkage. Click-dragging upwards never sticks.

Dr. Bradley, thanks for the link. I do lack the courage. I did note that even with the hack, one poster's screenshot showed an extended... um... "Iconic Representation," laudably renamed but still showing scads of ports with no label.

By the way, I had superficially looked at the Audio MIDI set up, hoping I could find something to delete. No go. I also uninstalled Jack.

You know, if this was 1996, I'd be de-fragging my hard drive about now.

Hahaha... this post made my day! :lol: