Headphone Mix

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help with the following?

I am trying to set up a headphone mix for my vocalist but which is different from my main mix, IE the vocalist can hear his vocals more. I think the problem is that I only have one output on my audio interface but I'm not certain.

Gear: Quad Mac 2.3GHZ,,16 gig ram, OSX 10.4.11, Logic 8, Motu828 MKII, M-Patch 2, Samson S-amp

In the Audio MIDI Setup utility, create an aggregate device of the MOTU Output and the built in output of your Mac.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215

Make it so the MOTU is clock master and the first in the AggDevs list. The AggDev (once selected as Logics' output device) will now make it that you can choose two stereo output channels, one for output 1-2 aka Stereo Output (MOTU) and one for the BI audio output (Output 3-4).

Now in your project, route all tracks and auxes (that are still routed to output 1-2) to a free bus>aux. This can be easily done by selecting all relevant channel strips in the mixer and simply choose the bus as an output for any one of them - all selected channel strips will follow this setting.

Now, in the Aux channel strip, which you should route to Output 1-2, create a send to another free bus/aux. Set the send level to 0.0. Now set the output of that aux to Output 3-4 (your Macs built in outs). To make the vocals louder on 3-4, create a pre-fader send on the vocal track that sends to the output 3-4 aux. That way the vocals can be louder depending on how far you open the pre-fader send on the vocal track, of course.

Outside the Mac you also need to route Outs 3-4 to a separate amp. Or just plug in headphones directly in the back of the Mac, though that may not be loud enough.

That should do it.

Edited by Eriksimon

Hi,

Many thanks Eriksimon for your answer, I have not tried this yet, before I do, do you think it would be more better to get a separate pre amp for the mic and add this into the set up?. If I did get a separate pre amp would it make it any easier set up wise?

Thanks

Hi,

Many thanks Eriksimon for your answer, I have not tried this yet, before I do, do you think it would be more better to get a separate pre amp for the mic and add this into the set up?. If I did get a separate pre amp would it make it any easier set up wise?

Thanks

I believe the MOTU already has high quality preamps built in, right? Unless you buy a preamp of absolute top notch handbuilt quality ($ 1000 and up?), the sound won't change dramatically. And even with such an expensive preamp it may not improve as much as the hole in your wallet would suggest... so, unless a seasoned MOTU user chimes in and states otherwise, it will not help you much, neither in sound quality nor in setup ease.

BIg Edit, just looked at the MOTU specs:

the 828mkII provides 20 inputs and 22 (!) outputs...

Why did you say you have only one stereo output??? :shock: Forget my earlier advice, no need to use the Mac BI audio and create an aggregate device, just use a separate output pair and route the headphone mix via that....

Edited by Eriksimon