Logic Pro 11 will be released any time now!

Back up with Carbon Copy Cloner?

I just got another hard drive, a 250 GB Seagate drive to back up my system drive and my project drive. There's enough room on there for both of them. I'm thinking of using Carbon Copy Cloner to do this.

There's a few things I'm wondering. One, how long will it take to backup a 60 GB HD? The external backup drive is running on the old slower firewire bus that's available on a Mac g4 dual 867. The reason I'm asking is I need to know how much time I should set aside for this task. I realize this will depend on how full the drives are and right now I'm actually trying to get rid of anything that i don't need on either drive and doing DVD archiving.

Anyone here have any experience with CCC? A friend of mine uses it and he says it works fine for him. Are there any problems with permisions or the transfering of liscences? Basically what I'd like to end up with is a bootable external drive for the main drive and basic backup for the audio drive.

Any tips here appreciated - this is a long overdue procedure for me.

Thanks, Camillo

Just started the clone and I got a few seconds into it and got this message:

error during copying .hotfiles.btree

According to one of the posts on bombich.com, this warning is not to be ignored and it's time for some sort of disc maintainance. Soooo, what next, should I be buying a copy of Disc Warrior? What is good at sorting these things out? I don't have a clue where to start outside of that. DW looks to be about $100, are there any cheaper alternatives to keeping my discs happy?

Maybe I should print out the whole error message, here it is:

There was an error during copying .hotfiles.btree from source

to target: ditto: //.hotfiles.btree: Operation not permitted

Would you like to ignore this error or stop?

The bombich site said that basically if you click ignore and then proceed with the clone, you risk not getting everthing ported over to the clone disc. Since I have never done anything more than repair permisions, I figure maybe this is a sign that it's time for some doctoring on the disc.

What got me started on all of this was the fact that my machine had problems starting up, it would take a couple of minutes and the menu bar would take a long time to fill in. This happened three times in a row and since then I've kept the machine running or in sleep mode but never turning it off because I'm in the middle of a project. But now my audio driver has dropped out (RME - it does that every now and then) and the only way to fix that is a cold start of the machine.

Does anyone recongnize what kind of problem that error message may be pointing to? As for the slow boot-ups, a guy at an Apple store said that might just be because of having too much stuff on my drive, which was true but now I've cleared a bunch of stuff off of it.

hey camillo,

i've found this great piece of software is better with permissions issues and is a fabulous way to keep your backups up to date after the intial cloning:

Synk

http://www.decimus.net/synk/

Our pro tools recordist used this while we were scoring superman and he actually had to use his clone bootups made with this..worked flawlessly.