Using Logic as a stand alone instrument

jpe2175

So what I am trying to accomplish is just to use Logic as a multi-timbral instrument. It is loaded up with different soft synths (BFD, Stylus, Vienna Strings) and as of yet I can only use one sound at a time. It's as if it acts like it's in omni mode. It doesn't matter what midi channel I send out to it, or what midi channel I assign on the INSTR track, the track will trigger no matter what. Which would be cool if I just needed one sound. But as soon as I try to add another INSTR, they both will play the same 1 performance even with different midi channels assigned. I need help like yesterday!! Hopefully this makes sence and someone can guide in the direction as to what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

To use up to 16 different MIDI Channel at once, just go to File > Song Settings > Recording and check 'Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording'.

For more than 16, you need to cable the outputs of the 'physical input' object in the environment's click and ports layer directly into the instruments, using channel splitters.

• 2 weeks later...

David -

I'm trying to make use of a Midisport 8x8 and cannot see how to make use of the input and output ports... I have logic express, and the physical input is a small rectangle rather than the large gray area I see in your screen shot above... am I just SOL with Express? Must I move on to Pro to make use of my Christmas gift?

(My intention is to use Logic to control my rather large live keyboard rig with Logic - being able to assign an input port to a different output port without recabling is *very* important)

TIA,

/p

Hey David -

(Didn't see the post above until after I posted this one)

Thanks for your post... I poked around a whole bunch more, tried all manner of things and nothing came together. Went to the Apple store and bought the Express -> Pro upgrade, installed it and bingo - all was instantly wonderful. The confusing thing was that Express sees multiple ports in the Midi Setup portion of the setup assistant, but you can't use them once you are in the program. Although I did not spend enough time to see if "Port" was available on all instruments, the input ports were certainly not available on the physical input environment object.

Have spent a bunch of hours now working in the environment and am beginning to feel comfortable. The MidiSport 8x8 installed perfectly (once I got the updated drivers) and Logic works with it seamlessly.

Thanks again for your time,

/p

• 2 weeks later...
In this case, I can't get the midi learn function for automation (CC assignment). Can I?

Yes, you can. Controller assignments take over all cabling in the environment.

Sorry David, but I can't use this cc to move a Sculpture parameter.. The midi learn is recognized but the modulation doesn't work. :(

The environment read the CC (here 63) from Port 1, (the fader object (63) is moving, the monitor shows what's happened but no modulation in Sculpture

If you have an idea, it could probably change my life.. :)

peace

piclogic.jpg.f458bfa5d4e10deffcb5e686b0109386.jpg