Sonic Branding/Sound logos

Hey all, this may be more of an open-ended question than I'd prefer to ask, but I just don't really know where to start.

Aside from composing, teaching, and everything else I'm doing (or learning with all y'all help), I've been developing some software for music teachers. In developing the marketing strategy which includes some demo and tutorial videos, I've got the graphics set up and all, but trying to come up with a "sonic ID" or "sound logo" or whatever is giving me some trouble. I've got plenty of ideas, but I'm not entirely sold on any of them yet, so my question to those of you with more experience is, what do you usually consider when writing these things? Thanks for your input.

I'm talking out my ass here, but off the top of my head the 2 most catchy signatures that spring to mind are intel and mcdonalds (do they have the "i'm loving it" tune where you are?). Both are made up of 3 notes, 1 of which is repeated... but maybe you'd want something slightly more sophisticated for music software, like the bit of music you get when opening Sibelius?

Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?

Yeah McDonald's uses that jingle here as well. And I actually had a neat little ditty that I liked, but thought it felt too closely related to the Intel sound logo.

Ultimately, you've got the right idea of what I'm trying to do, I just can't make it work, and I've tried everything from just tinkering on the piano to trying to come up with an "emotional feel" or "mood" for the software—almost trying to personify it, really—a la film scoring conventions. Maybe I'm doing the right things and just haven't found the right one yet, but I'm trying to get ideas for different approaches (especially if "no you're doing it wrong" comes to mind for people who've done it before).

If I get time, I may just post samples and ask everyone for input. What have I got to lose, right?

I don't know if this will help you or not but it's an interview with Jim Reekes who created some of the sounds that most of us here will hear every day.

PS: The video starts off in Dutch (I think) but the interview itself is in English