Mighty Mouse will not scroll down!

My mighty mouse just stopped allowing me to scroll down about 20 minutes ago. It was working fine, and then BAM it just stopped. I can scroll up and sideways and all the buttons and pointer functionality is perfect, but I cannot scroll down!

I've tried restarting my computer, and I've tried changing the scroll options in the mouse preferences pane. But, neither worked. Also, The problem is present no matter which application I am trying to scroll in.

I've got OS X 10.4.8 running on a Core Duo iMac.

At least one other person is having the same problem as seen in this thread in Apple Discussions. I went ahead and responded to that thread so people there know it's not an isolated issue, but I decided to also post here since I trust this site for OS X fixes much more than that site (which is funny, since that's the official Apple forum :) )

Thanks!

If it's going to be a hardware related issue, you have to get a new mouse, but considering the possibility of a corrupt preference file, you can reset your OS X preferences by 'zapping' the PRAM:

Shut down your computer, then turn on the computer and immediately press and hold Command-Option-P-R until you hear the startup sound for the second time.

It turns out I just had to clean the gunk out of it. I rolled it around in every direction and wiped it with my finger for about a minute, and it started working again.

I don't quite get why it just instantly went out rather than gradually, or why the dirt only effected scrolling down, but whatever. It works now :)