Suggestions for backing up, please...

I'm interested in knowing what methods you all use for backing up your work.

On my home system I have an internal system drive, an internal audio drive, and an external audio drive. I work on the internal drives and manually back-up ---usually once or twice daily--- by dragging my project folder over to my external drive. It takes about 2 minutes and it's not really a problem but 1) It seems so "manual" and 2) since I rename my project folder every day, my back-up drive is amassing a large number of 4GB project folders for the same project. (But I do that because I'm a little skittish about writing over my project file each day.)

Anybody got any ideas/opinions/tips on how to do it better? Also... Any automated way to back-up Logic projects to my ext drive? Software options?

Thanks!

I started using a program called Deju Vu a few months ago. I love it! It runs in the background and only overwrites files that have been changes since the last update. Schedule your backups for times you typically aren't working or choose the manual option. I think it cost about $30, but you can demo it for a month and see how you like it.

I wasn't hapy with Apple's backup software. It re-copies your entire source folder everytime you back up ()instead of just the recently modified files/folders).

Here's a link:

http://tc.versiontracker.com/product/redir/lid/789729/DejaVu_3.3b10.dmg

I run 2 Seagate 750MB drives through a RAID 1 array in OSX. A RAID 1 array is mirrored so it automatically saves the same thing to the second drive. I also back up to DVD and ftp super important files to my unlimited webspace.

Archival properties of DVD's and CD's are pretty ropey though. I have some CD's only 4 years old which I can't read anything from. The files are lost for good sadly.

I run 2 Seagate 750MB drives through a RAID 1 array in OSX. A RAID 1 array is mirrored so it automatically saves the same thing to the second drive. I also back up to DVD and ftp super important files to my unlimited webspace.

Archival properties of DVD's and CD's are pretty ropey though. I have some CD's only 4 years old which I can't read anything from. The files are lost for good sadly.

I started using a program called Deju Vu a few months ago. I love it! It runs in the background and only overwrites files that have been changes since the last update. Schedule your backups for times you typically aren't working or choose the manual option. I think it cost about $30, but you can demo it for a month and see how you like it.

I wasn't hapy with Apple's backup software. It re-copies your entire source folder everytime you back up ()instead of just the recently modified files/folders).

Here's a link:

http://tc.versiontracker.com/product/redir/lid/789729/DejaVu_3.3b10.dmg

A studio I worked at recently used this app. They had it on manual, and the house guy just ran it whenever we took a break. It was quick, and worked great.

Best, Marcel