Syncing Logic with a MPC 1000

delve1

I just bought a mpc 1000 and I love the way it sounds however logic is a much more powerful tool for editing. I would love to play the beat on the mpc and then have it come into logic as midi where I could edit. How can I have to these two work together? I currently have the midi ins and outs of the mpc connected to the midi outs and ins of my interface (m audio fire wire 410) and I have followed the directions in the mpc manual to the best of my abilities. Can someone please help me?

Peace and Blessings

I don't envy you right now. Even though you've got some great equipment, it sounds like you're a bit new to MIDI and audio production, and so most likely you're going to bite off a bigger chunk to chew than is necessary imho.

I'd focus on making beats w/ the MPC and the recording the individual audio tracks (not MIDI) into Logic, so you can add effects to the tracks, record vocals on top, and mixdown to CD.

Triggering/sequencing the MPC sound pads from Logic (via midi) just doesn't sound like a worthwhile endeavor to me since the MPC excels at sequencing itself. It's like buying a Porshce to push a Ferrari (or something). If you want to edit the MPC audio inside of Logic, that makes more sense, but that's just a matter of recording each part onto an audio track in Logic...nothing to do with Midi there.

There actually is some midi stuff to contend with here: you need to sync the two up together. I have an MPC1000, and what I do is come up with a beat/groove/riff or whatever in the MPC, and then record it in track by track. I find that it is far better to use the MPC as the master (tighter timing in my opinion). Set the MPC to send midi clock and MTC, put logic into sync receive mode, set the BPM in logic to whatever it is in the MPC, go to track mute in the mpc and solo your first track. Then arm your track in logic, and press play in the mpc (make sure to always play your sequence from the beginnning) and record for at least 2 loops (I always delete the first loop because the sync can take some time to catch up). I then drag the track i have recorded down to a lower track in the arrange window, solo the next track, and do it again until all the tracks are in. You should end up with all of the tracks looping in logic perfectly in snyc with each other, and then you can take it from there.