trying to find last recorded regions help !

mikeebruno

Well , kind of hard to explain.

I'm recording punchins over an audio track, it's seems that the last recorded region is hide behind the old regions that was there before.

Want the last recorded region on top so I see what's has been recorded !!

Is this possible ? , other wise, it gets messy when you edit the track, searching behide...

thanks!

Try clicking on an empty area of the track. That will usually bring the other regions "forward".

I know...that has messed me up a lot as well.

Make sure you have the track set to "no overlaps" and you use replace mode. Although replace mode doesn't always work correctly, it's better than not using it.

Top right corner of your Arrange window, Drag: No Overlap...

I have a slightly different method that I use to keep this straight. When recording, I create two track objects, a 'record' track and a 'comp' or 'playback' track (usually the second has no input path so as not to get confused). This way, after the initial pass has been moved over, I can simply cut and mute the sections I want to punch in on the playback track while recording on the other. When I get a pass I like for the fix, I cut it to length and move it into the comp track.

I find that this is a good workaround for all the problems I used to experience with auto input monitoring, replace mode, the delay in playback when punching into record mode, the loss of regions behind other regions, etc.

Hope that helps.

Best, Marcel

What a PITA. I like Logic but cannot believe that this software that I've heard about for years is so deficient in basic audio necessities. If I would have known all this before hand I would have probably rethought my purchase

What a PITA. I like Logic but cannot believe that this software that I've heard about for years is so deficient in basic audio necessities. If I would have known all this before hand I would have probably rethought my purchase

Before you complain too much, go record an album on 2" 24-track tape...

LOL

Punching is a complicated and nerve-wracking process on a level that you cannot imagine.

Every DAW design is gonna have its strengths and weaknesses. It's important to recognize how you work and make sure that your setup and your methods are compatible, on many levels. I don't mind doing what I do, I can do it quickly and effectively, and I get results I like. Everyone is different.

Best, Marcel

Stop, please, I came from analog starting back in the late 70's doing records on 1" 8 trk machines and I never thought then of punching in as nerve racking . If something was punched over it was gone forever - oh well it's gone might as well play it again you know?. Now though everybody expects millions of takes available at your finger tips. The bottom line is that in PT, DP or whatever such basic stuff is very easy and availble. In Logic it isn't without going around the block a few times

Wasn't trying to bust your balls in any kind of ageist way, I was just trying to make the point that it's all relative. Since you've worked to tape, I'm sure you know what I mean (remember the media costs, destructive physical edits, machine calibration and maintenance, issues with sync, generational loss?)...

I don't think that my method in this particular case kills my workflow or the client's creative flow, and I prefer it to the hassles I used to have working with other methods. PT may be better in this regard (I can't comment on DP because I don't use it), but there are many other ways in which I prefer Logic to PT, some of them actual advantages and some of them simply preference and habit.

Once again, I don't mean to bust your balls, but if this (or anything else) is a 'deal-breaker', then maybe another DAW is the way to go, given your style of work and your workload, yeah? And if it's not, I know you're going to try to find the best way you can to work around it...

Best, Marcel

My goal this year is to get off the digi wagon. I can feel another butt reaming coming and computers are fast enough now to do alot without cards and expensive dongles (digi 192 interfaces). I was gonna go Nuendo but it's not ready for intel mac. I got DP which is very cool but clients think it's toy. Logic, being tightly integrated with Apple now, I figured would the best bet and it is cool, is very processor efficient etc...But working with audio is kind of a pain while people are breathing down your neck. I love the creativity of the program though. Check this out.. The new macs are so fast I got 48 Pro Tools tracks of 7 band eq, digi comp 3, smack comp, 1176 comp, 6 tracks of amplitube 2 and 6 tracks of stereo TL Space conv verb all in natvie RTAS and the processor is only at halfway, albeit at 44.1K. just to test. Can you say goodbye internal cards?

My goal this year is to get off the digi wagon.

Amen.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if I had a 'playlist' type function (which is essentially what we're talking about here) and some sort of auto beat detection in Logic, I would be perfectly happy for Digi and all their prohibitively expensive, frequently obsolete hardware to drop off the face of the earth.

Best, Marcel