Pack folder disables multitrack Punch On The Fly?

camillo jr

This is strange. I had this session today where there were two people tracking together in the room, each on their own track. I've been using punch on the fly with them because if they mess up, I can stop without having to delete their takes (I wait and if it sounds like there's a good take happening i'll hit record as they're playing and drag the regions back after.)

Everything was fine until they wanted to do some sections over and so I was packing their takes in folders and discovered that as soon as I did this, the take on the next highest input wouldn't record! After doing some experimentation tonight, I found out that this only happens if I'm using POTF. If I hit record right off the top, each track records fine.

Is this a bug? I never noticed it before but then I was probably always hitting record toggle right at the start. The other odd thing about this is that it only happens in the area where the folder lives - if I move down the track beyond the boundaries of the folder region, punch on the fly works as expected and all tracks get recorded.

Ok, here's what I've found so far, and this applies to LP 7.2.3 now.

If I create a folder of a multitrack take, then the next time I take a pass at the same area, the highest input is not recognized if I use Punch on the Fly. If I just hit Record right at the start, it works fine except very occasionally the highest input is still not recognized. However, if I create a folder with nothing in it and park it in the space where I'm about to multitrack, then there's no problem using either POTF or straight Record. OTOH, if I go and put some recently created audio into that empty folder by dragging them in, then the same problem emerges. Or, if I pack takes into a folder, and then delete them, again, no problem with all inputs recording.

I've also tried these tests where I recorded audio adjacent to folders containing midi data and there's no problem there. So it seems this situation is related to the presence of audio in a folder.

Other oddities include the fact that after the folder ends, POTF works fine again and all tracks are recorded. But If I move the folder to a point at or beyond a new section that I'm recording, then the problem returns, up to the the end of the folder region.

Since I'm now up to the latest version of Logic and since I never had problems with folders and multitracking before in 7.1, I'd like to know if anyone else has encountered this? It shouldn't work this way, and the fact that it even occasionally affects the regular record-start indicates to me that a bug has evolved in 7.2. I find using folders for multitracking sessions extremely useful and I'd like to get this capability back.