Moved EXS Files to External FW, Logic now Slower

Dante310

Hey guys I've got a frustrating problem I hope someone can help me with. I'm working on a 2.16 ghz Mac book pro with a gig of ram, great computer for logic except when I purchased it I did not know to ask for a 7200 rpm drive. Today I went out and bought a Western Digital MyBook premium 7200 rpm firewire 400 to store my EXS and other instrument samples which had been loading unbelievably slowly due to my hard drive speed. I copied the EXS, Audio instrument, and ultrabeat samples folders from Logic's application support as recommended to my external and made aliases for all three in the logic folder; I even partitioned the external into using the 5/95 method recommended here and placed these samples on the fast "5" portion...anyway, now when I try to load an EXS patch it is even slower than it was before- I'm talking 3 minute load times for an instrument and the progress bar doesnt work until about 2 wav's are left to load and it just rapidly goes from nothing to done. What am I doing wrong? this is driving me nuts, I jsut want to be able to use logic.

By the way I tested the speed of this external to make sure that wasn't the problem; it copied my 4 gig logic folder in about 10 minutes and seems extremely fast to me so I can't see this being the problem.

A quick update; I noticed once I took my headphones off that when i try to load an instrument, i can hear my mac book internal drive reading/spinning for a good two minutes while the progress bar goes nowhere; then seemingly out of the blue i can hear my external start to read, and within about 2 seconds the instrument is loaded. What i dont understand is why logic is basically freezing for two minutes before accessing the external drive.

Edited by Dante310

Yes.

Make a project folder for your songs (File>Save as project) and Logic will copy the EXS 24 instruments and samples, IR's, etc. into this folder (as long as you specify it in the initial dialogue). You don't need to move the 'factory' libraries from their original location. Working this way also gives you the freedom to make changes to factory presets without concern for losing the original, which you may already be using in several other places.

If you want to move something, best to move the whole project folder. Logic (or any app.) will get slow when it has to look all over the system (often in 'realtime', at least to some extent) for the information it needs to keep a song 'rolling'.

If you still have problems with things bogging down, you probably need to look at the amount of RAM you have available. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 2Gb should probably be considered a minimum for audio applications...

Hope that helps.

Best, Marcel

Yes.

Make a project folder for your songs (File>Save as project) and Logic will copy the EXS 24 instruments and samples, IR's, etc. into this folder (as long as you specify it in the initial dialogue). You don't need to move the 'factory' libraries from their original location. Working this way also gives you the freedom to make changes to factory presets without concern for losing the original, which you may already be using in several other places.

If you want to move something, best to move the whole project folder. Logic (or any app.) will get slow when it has to look all over the system (often in 'realtime', at least to some extent) for the information it needs to keep a song 'rolling'.

If you still have problems with things bogging down, you probably need to look at the amount of RAM you have available. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 2Gb should probably be considered a minimum for audio applications...

Hope that helps.

Best, Marcel

Hey Marcell, I really appreciate the reply. Here's the problem though; I'm not so much interested in moving the EXS files that I've used in projects, because the loading time of my EXS presets is so slow due to the issue I mentioned in my first post that I really haven't been able to use this instrument much (talk about a creative buzzkill when you have to wait 2 or 3 minutes to preview each new patch). I'm wondering if there's any way the scan feature of the project manager might be able to help re-link ALL of the EXS files, so I can use them- because, yes, once I have loaded a patch, it loads extremely quickly after that.

Yes.

Hope that helps.

Best, Marcel

Hey Marcell, I really appreciate the reply. Here's the problem though; I'm not so much interested in moving the EXS files that I've used in projects, because the loading time of my EXS presets is so slow due to the issue I mentioned in my first post that I really haven't been able to use this instrument much (talk about a creative buzzkill when you have to wait 2 or 3 minutes to preview each new patch). I'm wondering if there's any way the scan feature of the project manager might be able to help re-link ALL of the EXS files, so I can use them- because, yes, once I have loaded a patch, it loads extremely quickly after that.

Please describe your hardware. I think speed or available memory limitations may be the cause of this... AFAIK, there is no way to hear samples without... hearing the samples. If you get what I mean.

Best, Marcel

I'm using a mac book pro 2.16 ghz, 1 gig ram, 120 gig hard drive (more than 30% free), with a 250 gig 7200 rpm external firewire. I've seen a lot of people comment on how if you use a lot of EXS instruments and you have a 5400 rpm drive, its best to move the instruments and samples to an external firewire at 7200 rpm, which is what I'm trying to do. what I cant get is why my EXS takes just as long to load instrument patches now that i'm using the external setup as it was before when I was using my internal. thanks a lot for your help

wanted to let you guys know i fixed the issue; the problem was that I had to go into project manager and make sure that logic relinked all of the samples that had been replaced- oddly enough i needed to do this even before I got my external and moved the samples, because I realized that while my internal drive was slow, the sam issue I had with the external unliked files was happening on the internal as well after Logic was installed. thanks for the help guys[/i]