loud click on burned CDs

toonscribe

Thanks for responding!

I hit the "bounce" button on the the output object I want to burn -- in the cases I remember it was simply a stereo output (1-2). The bounce window opens. As I recall most of the options are greyed out. I do remember selecting the OFFLINE bounce rather than realtime. I think I just name it and then hit the button to proceed which I believe is called "burn." The CD is recorded. Other than this loud click right at the very beginning, my CDs have sounded fine -- I get the mix I am expecting -- with all the effects and no other artifacts or problems. Just the ONE click at the beginning!!

I have never used this method, but I can tell you what works for me...

When you click bounce, the dialogue box you get should have a bunch of options on the middle left for the file format you want to bounce to. Choose PCM (full format audio). Name the file and select a destination folder, click bounce (not burn). This will write an audio file that you can then burn to a disc using iTunes, Roxio Toast, whatever...

You can also drag this file back into Logic and listen to the beginning of it (locate the region a few bars into the session, so you can listen thru the beginning). Do you hear the click sound there? If not, the problem is not Logic, it's probably your CD writer...

You should also make sure you have a bit of pre-roll on your songs, so that there's not a drum machine beat or other big transient right on beat 1, bar 1...

Hope that helps.

Best, Marcel

If you also get the pop when bouncing, this may be it

Logic has a problem with softsynths sustain and clearing the audio buffers. Any notes ringing out when stopped, will finish ringing out the next time you hit play or in your case bounce. This is especially true when using third party AU's.

Let the music finish ringing out or find a spot in your track with nothing playing and repeat that a few times before bouncing.

I really hope they fix this sooner than later.

If you also get the pop when bouncing, this may be it

Logic has a problem with softsynths sustain and clearing the audio buffers. Any notes ringing out when stopped, will finish ringing out the next time you hit play or in your case bounce. This is especially true when using third party AU's.

Let the music finish ringing out or find a spot in your track with nothing playing and repeat that a few times before bouncing.

I really hope they fix this sooner than later.

I used to have that problem with an old version of Logic, but never Logic 7+. It's true you could be getting leftover trails that havent cleared the buffer, and the previous post has good suggestions on clearing that (although it would be odd for that to happen everytime you bounce on every track you ever do - unless everything you do is always slathered with reverb or delay). Try bouncing in realtime instead of offline. I have never had a problem like that.

Incidentally, a band-aid on the problem is to put a small piece of audio a measure ahead of the start of the song (like a high hat tick)and then make that the top of the bounce. The unwanted pop wil happen at that tick instead of the start of your song. Then open the aiff file of your bounced song and cut and delete the pop at the top. Not the optimum solution, but if all else fails that will remove the pop before you send it off for strange and unsympathetic ears to listen to.

Thanks so much for all the advice/suggestions. Will experiment when I'm back in my studio.

If, in fact, it iIS residual audio in the buffer, wouldTthat explain a CLICK? Wouldn't I hear the actual tail end of the audio that was left in the buffer? Because it is definitely a quck LOUD CLICK and not any recognizable audio from my soft synths, reverbs, etc. (In fact, I wasn't using soft synths on my most recent mix.)

Any more thoughts welcome. It helps to have a workaround -- but annoys me that I should have to! And it's hard to believe this problem is unique to me...unless I'm doing something WRONG.