SMPTE / Sync / Tempo - bug or am I dum?

reid

Anyone encountered this (or even better, got a cure?)

I've got a QT movie I'm trying to line up in an arrangement, and Logic doesn't want to be friends with me...

Briefly - The QT has a SMPTE start of 1.0.0.0 (25fps) and the arrangement starts on bar 1.1.1.1 The movie plays back without any problem. Starting at bar 7 (130bpm), there is a continuous speed up of tempo which levels out at bar 45 (212 bpm).

I want to sync the movie and arrangement so that bar 45 and SMPTE 1.0.53.19 coincide with one another. I'm using the Sync window to do this, using the 'Bar Position ---- plays at SMPTE ----' boxes. But every time I input the new bar position, it flips back to 1.1.1.1 :shock:

I've clicked every option on and off and checked a dozen different combinations of ticked boxes, but no luck - can anyone help?

Hopefully you can get a more definitve answer than this...But..i was able to get 'close', using the Tempo Operations settings to create the tempo curve.

What's the tempo from bar 1 to bar 7? 130 still? If so..then bar 7 starts at 01:00:11:01, and you're at 01:01:04:10 at bar 45 with a smooth curve (see jpg..)

hopefully we can get a better answer than this...

tempo.thumb.jpg.b86ac13e35563c7edcdb1b974aa6777b.jpg

dkgross,

I think I may not have expressed myself clearly in the first post - getting the tempo curves to work isn't the problem. In itself, the music works exactly as I want, it's simply that the communication between the QT movie and the "Bar ---- starts at SMPTE ----" dialogue box appears to be on the blink.

Logic is perfectly happy to have the QT start at Bar 1.1.1.1 / SMPTE 1.0.0.0 - it's only when I try to adjust those parameters that it won't play ball. This doesn't happen with any other arrangements or QTs I'm using, so I suspect it might just be a corrupted file. As it is, I've bodged something up for the cue, so the problem isn't an immediate issue. I'm now more concerned about having a work around should it happen again!

But many thanks for your interest in my problem. That's a monster screen shot - how do you get it to imbed in your post? Just a screen capture and then use the Img button when posting?

ski - I'm running 7.2.3 on an old G5 2.5DP / 6Gb Ram / osx 10.4.8

Do you think it's a version 'issue' at work?[/i]

ski - I'm running 7.2.3 on an old G5 2.5DP / 6Gb Ram / osx 10.4.8

Do you think it's a version 'issue' at work?

I seem to remember reading numerous posts here and on the Apple/Logic forum where people running 7.2.3 couldn't get the tempo window events to behave at all. Things like "I set my SMPTE time to (whatever) and it just snaps back to 01:00:00:00."

Here are a few I found here...

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=5532&highlight=smpte

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=6655&highlight=smpte

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=1959&highlight=smpte+1+1+1+1

I'm not running 7.2.3, so I can't test this out (I'm still on 7.1.1).

ski - that's the fastest reply in history. You're either up very early, or going to bed very late...

Thanks for those links - looks like I'm not alone. I'm going to do some fiddling with tempo and Bar / SMPTE points and see if I can re-create the problem from scratch

Will post again if anything worth reading about occurs :shock:

ahh...again...we learn stuff :) I'm on 7.2.3/OS 10.4.8.

I haven't done a lot of experimenting with this..but, now I'm REALLY curious. If I want Bar 1 to be at x:x:x:x and Bar 10 to be at x.x.x.x and bar 24 to be at x.x.x.x, how would one make Logic automatically calculate what those tempos should be?

I've done stuff where I need Bar 1 to be at x.x.x., and a simple SMPTE offset does the trick there..but I haven't done multiple tempo change things.

man I love this place :)

oh..sorry for the big screen shot! I just do 'apple-shift-4', use the cursor to highight the area I want to take a picture of...That creates a PNG which I open in Preveiw, then Save As a JPG..I just didn't make it small enough :)