Aux: NYC Comp

Simple plugin preset for the NYC Compressor effect.

Here's how I use this:

1) Bus all your drum sounds to a single bus - all loops, kicks, hats, snares, claps etc.

2) Create an Aux channel and set its input to the bus you routed your drums through. Set the volume slider of the Aux channel to 0

3) Load up the NYC Comp channelstrip preset onto the aux channel

4) Playback your drumtrack, and start to increase the level of the Aux track to taste.

Bingo! Instant NYC comp effect.

NYC Comp.cst

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
This doesn't work because logics PDC is a bit rubbish and it doesn't compensate for delays introduced on the Aux channels, so the heavily compressed drums on the Aux are out of time with the rest of my drums! Am i missing something? i have turned PDC to all instead of just instruments and plugins.

This doesn't work because logics PDC is a bit rubbish and it doesn't compensate for delays introduced on the Aux channels, so the heavily compressed drums on the Aux are out of time with the rest of my drums! Am i missing something? i have turned PDC to all instead of just instruments and plugins.

Really? What version of Logic are you using? I thought that that was fixed already.

When Plug-in Delay Compensation is set to all, Logic is indeed supposed to do PDC on the aux tracks. I checked it out on my system and it works fine. Apple's literature also verifies this as of version 7.1. The catch is that once you engage full PDC for all tracks then you can no longer record any new tracks without having those recordings be out of time. And latency if also increased.

The moral here is that if you are content to save all mixing and consequent latency-inducing plugs on aux tracks until after you do all your recording, then everything should work fine. But if you want to set up a mix "as you go" then yeah, that's going to be a real annoyance. Check out this article from apple for a better explanation:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301025

Thanks for that. I tried the compressor trick with my PDC set t all, and it was definately out of sync. I will have to try again.

I will try the pan law setting next time I am infront of Logic, maybe this has something to do with it.

Are you by anu chanve using an external DSP card on it? I have timing problems with this when i are using an UAD plug-in on the aux. I have not tried sending the compressor via a bus though.

• 3 weeks later...

hutchrecord, you need to place the file in the '/Library/Application Support/Logic/Aux.

Any subsequent .cst files must live in here to show up in the Logic. Simply click on the word insert on the channel strip, not the insert slot, and the presets appear in the drop down menu.

Hope this helps.

Great trick. I substituted the Sonalksis Comp and EQ for the Logic ones and it sounds even better. Next I will try my UAD-1 plugs.

This is sure a fast and easy way to get there. Thanks again Anaemik.

One question: Why not put the EQ before the Ccmpressor as any tweaks, particularly adding highs, can greatly effect the compressor?

Or is that just not the NY way :)

Go Red Sox!

Haven't been around here in a while, so it's nice to see people getting use out of this preset.

I personally use the phase linear EQ for the very reasons jigsawlogic outlined in a previous post, but felt that adding this as the de-facto eq in the preset might make for an unwelcome cpu hit on a lot of people's rigs.

If your system can handle the extra few cycles, I suggest substituting the channel EQ for the linear phase. You may well find the differences noticeable.

Also, please feel free to experiment with the order of the comp/eq. The way it's currently set up sounds more authentic to my ears, but these things are of course matters of pure taste.

:)

For some reason when I do this no plugs load when NYC is selected as an AUX channel strip setting. Any ideas why? Very odd because I did the same with Dave's Octaviser and it worked fine? I totally want to check out this technique too...any help would be appreciated...cheers,

Graham

ps - it's in the standard library-->application support-->Logic-->channel strip settings---> AUX folder...

Yep, loading in an Aux channel, I select the NYC Comp and nada, no plugs appear, at first I thought it may be that the plugs aren't standards but obviously that is not the case as it's working for others...I'll keep fiddling...cheers,

Graham

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
I know how to make an Aux track but I certainly dont know how to make a bus track::: please somone explain how! :scratches head: thanks.

It's easy. Open the Environment window and go to the Mixer layer. (Or, create a new layer and name it "Busses".) From the New menu, select Channelstrip-> Bus. Create as many as you think you'll need. Close the environment.

In the Arrange Mixer pane, make sure Bus is selected as a view option so you can see the Bus channels. If you want a bus track, ctrl-click the Bus Channel and select "Ceate/Select Arrange Track. Done.

Bus tracks are no more. They don't exist in Logic 8. Logic 7 was the last version to have them.

That's not entirely true, there still are bus tracks in v8. All projects and templates from v7 that have bus tracks will be imported to v8 with the same bus tracks for compatibility and they can also be created in the environment for the old-school dudes.

^ thanks, so when you say "bus all drums" do you mean, go to each drum track and send them to a specific bus? alil bit confused here::: Or do u mean set the output to a specific bus??? the way i would normally do this is send each track to a bus with the send option and then create an aux with the input of the send::::therefor, rendering creating a bus track useless...riiight???? *scratches head*