remixing

Is taking a melody from a certain song and playing it on your own instrument (then building a different song off that melody) considered remixing or is there another name for it.

Thanks

I think it is called copyright infringement. :?

I know it is called copyright infringement.

Unless, of course, you own the copyright of the song.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that this is about copyright infringement. OK, if it is indeed necessary to contact the copyright holder, first you'd need to find out who holds the copyright, and that might not necessarily be the artist. Best thing to do is contact the publisher. That aside, I do believe that you can create an instrumental arrangement of anything without permission. If I understand correctly, we're not talking about lifting a vocal and using any of the original content of a particular recording of a song.

Think about all the cover versions there are of songs over the years. I'm pretty sure that the artists who record them don't wait around to negotiate with those song's respective copyright holders and publishers before going into the studio. The publishing on a cover is still owned (and earned!) by the publisher.

I contacted a publisher (kind of out of curiosity more than anything else) to find out if they'd be OK if I arranged a certain piece of instrumental "classical" music for orchestra, for which they were the publisher. They flat out said no, and stipulated that I was not permitted to even attempt to do it, even if I was doing it just for my own edification (on paper). Wow, talk about harsh, eh? Well, a few years later, I wrote to them again to ask again (I don't take no for an answer too easily sometimes LOL) and there was a new regime in place at the publisher. This time they said that they were fine with it, and that I didn't need their permission. The only thing was that if I recorded it or made any money off of the arrangement that they would be entitled to the publishing (which I thought was fair enough).

• 1 month later...