Production Q&A #4

Tarekith

New Production Q&A posted to my blog:

http://tarekith.com/production-qa-4/

This time I cover the topics:

1. Can you detail your process for getting big, warm bass, big kick drum, mixing them together and keeping them big without the inevitable frequency conflicts?

2. Why isn’t stem mastering used more? Does it sound worse than regular mastering?

3. How important is the acoustic treatment of the studio, in particular the treatment of bass? Is it fundamental for the production, or is it something that’s just nice to have if you can?

-------------

Just a quick note about the blog notifications going forward. If you like the blog and the things I post, please take a second RIGHT NOW to sign up for email notifications of new posts (on the right hand side of the page). Or follow me on Twitter, RSS, or Facebook via the icons at the top of the screen in the link above. This is the last time I’m going to announce new blog posts on the various forums I visit, unless the topic directly has something to do with one of those forums. Going forward, new posts will only be announced via one of the methods above. Sorry, but it’s starting to come across as a little spammy according to some people, and I don’t want to make that impression. Thanks!

"Spammy"? Are you serious? I've always enjoyed your tutorials. You write in a way that's easy to understand, and you cover several topics that people should know about, regardless if it's for advanced or beginning musicians. You are also one of the very few bloggers who supports using just enough compression and EQ when it comes to the mixing stage. I find that refreshing compared to the articles out there that condone squashing the living daylights out of any electronic recordings. So, I for one, appreciate your insight and I look forward to your future blogs. I have your web page bookmarked and I visit about once a week. Thanks for the effort!!

- xpander

"Spammy"? Are you serious? I've always enjoyed your tutorials. You write in a way that's easy to understand, and you cover several topics that people should know about, regardless if it's for advanced or beginning musicians. You are also one of the very few bloggers who supports using just enough compression and EQ when it comes to the mixing stage. I find that refreshing compared to the articles out there that condone squashing the living daylights out of any electronic recordings. So, I for one, appreciate your insight and I look forward to your future blogs. I have your web page bookmarked and I visit about once a week. Thanks for the effort!!

- xpander

+1 - I'm sad to hear that your posts are being regarded as "spammy" - I enjoy your posts and have found your blog to be very educational for a beginner (like me) - I've subscribed to your list....

Andy