I/O error Result code = -36, Fade Update Failed (Error -36)

Arkadi

I gave it a try and no go.

Can we assume you've run repair and verify in disk utility multiple times? Does your logic project folder have any spaces, dots or slashes in its name? Do you have DiskWarrior? How did you format the new drive?

Try this from Logic; "Save a Copy as": (including assets) to your boot drive,

Open Terminal, cd to each project directory and sub and remove the hidden unix file .DS_Store with the command “rm .DS_Store”

Then copy that project folder to the external drive. Try working with it.

I suspect the problem is with the hidden .DS_Store files in the directories. Which gets copied over when you copy the folders. That's why you see the problem regardless of where or what you run the project on.

You can try this utility:

http://sw.ixoft.com/folderwasher/

Thanks for the tips. I'm extremely grateful. I updated my profile for this thread with my mobile settings.

I'm using the latest version of everything, including a new macbook, hard drives etc.. When I formatted the drives I'm chose Mac OS Extended (journaled) in the disk utility.

I just cleaned the folders with the folder washer program. It said it removed 1 file, but did not specify what that file was. Will see how it goes. Although whenever I get things working, the I/O error eventually appears at some point.

I am using my Logic template from my home system - is it possible that DS file could have been copied over from that? Perhaps that is why I have this exact same problem on two totally different systems.

I am using my Logic template from my home system - is it possible that DS file could have been copied over from that? Perhaps that is why I have this exact same problem on two totally different systems.

Or something like that. Did you use a thumb drive to transfer the template perhaps? That can lead to yet more hidden files to remove sometimes.

I just opened Logic after cleaning and the error came right back, so I guess it's not DS related. I manually deleted a fade file that was in there, reopened and the project worked. But then I reopened a second time and the problem is back. I guess it has something to do with corrupt fade files. Which begs the question - whats a fade file? 0_0

The template was moved over from a PC/MAC drive (whichever one supports both systems)

It seems to be related to fade files since it says (-36 Fade Update Failed)

It seems nothing I do will make this problem go away. I'm very screwed here. I've tried all the suggestions, purchased new drives, everything is new. I spent 4K on this system and drives, etc... Really upsetting that my score delivery is being held hostage with this ridiculous problem.

The template was moved over from a PC/MAC drive (whichever one supports both systems)

The PC (FAT32) does. And I'll wager that's the source of your problem. Macs have read compatibility with those, but shitty write compatibility. Did the template also originate from an old PC version of Logic? How did the PC thing get in the mix here?

Have OSX show hidden files. Follow instructions here:

http://osxdaily.com/2009/02/25/show-hidden-files-in-os-x/

See if there's anything else in those folders.

I'd recommend you rebuild your template from the version of Logic you now use, starting with the supplied "Empty Project" template.

Yes the template was built from the previous version of Logic. My slave computers are PC laptops (via Vienna Ensemble Pro) so some of my drives are thumb to transfer files back and forth (like sample libraries that I want to load within logic to save memory).

My slave computers are PC laptops (via Vienna Ensemble Pro) so some of my drives are thumb to transfer files back and forth (like sample libraries that I want to load within logic to save memory).

You expose yourself to a world of hurt as soon as you bring a FAT volume into your workflow. One solution that may help is installing MacDrive on the PC's, which lets PC's read and write HFS volumes just fine. Then never transfer files on anything but HFS volumes. That'll keep things sane in the future, but doesn't help you now, I'm afraid.

It's not just the .DS_Store files that could be the problem. There are also various and sundry others that can get bolluxed in this process too, like the ._ companion files unix puts in there and the folder.ini files and others that windows spews around.

Unfortunately, good computer hygiene practice is often learned the hard way. Like this stuff you're experiencing now.

I hear what your saying and in the future I'll definatly avoid FAT volumes.

However, this problem only started happening after I updated Logic on my home system, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Before that, I never had this problem and I was using thumb drives from Mac to Pc all the time. On my mobile setup, the I/O error is much much worse than on the home one. And I need to see if there is a quick work around or something so I can do the work I need to do right away.

** Also - If I copy my sample libraries or other files from a PC to a MAC drive, will those files be corrupted or perhaps be causing this error?

** Is there a way to 'clean' drives from any kind of FAT corruption without reformatting them so the existing data can be preserved?

** Since the error is 'Fade Update' related, is there a way to disable fade updates. I don't even know what they are.

Thanks

However, this problem only started happening after I updated Logic on my home system, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Before that, I never had this problem and I was using thumb drives from Mac to Pc all the time.

Who knows "exactly" what caused it, or why Logic suddenly responds to it. Uninstall Logic and reinstall from the DVD's if you think that might help. But if this were strictly due to Logic, we'd hear a lot more people complaining! However, there are many instances of folks complaining about error -36 due to PC files and volumes.

On my mobile setup, the I/O error is much much worse than on the home one. And I need to see if there is a quick work around or something so I can do the work I need to do right away.

Besides doing what I suggested, (Disk Utility, DiskWarrior, etc) moving the files to the desktop, deleting all the hidden files, then create the folders by hand on a freshly formatted drive and drag the files into them, is what I'd try. I'd set Spotlight up to not index that drive first.

** Also - If I copy my sample libraries or other files from a PC to a MAC drive, will those files be corrupted or perhaps be causing this error?

If a PC file virus caused all this, then maybe. There's plenty of those around.

** Is there a way to 'clean' drives from any kind of FAT corruption without reformatting them so the existing data can be preserved?

DiskWarrior usually does the trick for me. But who knows if it will solve your problem unless you try it. I can only assume that you've run Disk Utility? Repaired permissions? There are various other terminal commands for repairing files, just do a bit of googling.

** Since the error is 'Fade Update' related, is there a way to disable fade updates. I don't even know what they are.

It errors on the fade updates because Logic's trying to write them to disk, but the disk is returning the error because something's wrong with its ability to write to disk. Nothing to do with the fade files specifically.

Here is the latest discovery in this epic thread. I used diskwarrior on all my drives, opened my project and the error is still there. So I disconnected all my Kontakt instruments within Logic and the problem went away.

My PC connected to my Mac via Vienna Ensemble Pro still works, so at least I can work. So I don't know if its something related to Kontakt or the drive the Kontakt samples are on since a lot of those samples were transferred from my PC drive. And these are completely different drives from the ones on my home system.

All that said, the problem could still come back, but thats where I'm at right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I do have the same issue. In fact it started just today.

I was working on a project somebody had made on GarageBand, which I imported and started swapping out sounds and stuff. Also did some Midi recording, but now audio.

Only edits on the tracks I was given.

There was no PC or fat32 hard drive involved in the entire chain. Neither should it be the record path, since I only used what was recorded on GB. Didn't do any recording myself on this song.

Still once in a while I get the -36 Error, which goes away and lets me continue work... until it comes again.

Really weird.

I've also run into the out of memory bug a coupla times. Luckily it would let me save, so i could restart Logic without losing anything.

Hopefully there will be a Logic update that addresses this and other issues soon.

I doubt it though, cos they'll bring us Logic X instead, with a whole bunch of new problems, and plenty of missing features, to make Logic appeal to amateurs.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everyone, thanks for all the good advice. error -36 happening here too, never had a fat drive or any pc stuff involved, clean logic 9 installation, just happened. It seems to me it does have something to do with read/write compatibility on the fade files? Tried to trash them but it didn't work...no clue what this error means...

I've posted about this before. No matter what anyone says, this is a Logic bug that I think was introduced around 9.1.2 or 9.1.3. I've tried all of the solutions mentioned in countless threads all over the internet. I still have this bug on 3 different Macs, one of which is a 2011 MacBook Pro. The drives are not the issue. So many are experiencing this bug. I can only hope that Apple will release a fix for this while we wait for Logic X.

Time to start trashing preference files? Fade files?

I do both a lot in a series of attempts resolve the issue once it suddenly starts to appear. Sometimes the command to delete all fade files within Logic doesn't work and I trash them manually. Sometimes this along with a few other voodoo measures push the problem away temporarily, only to return a half hour later. So, this is a band-aid fix if that...

For what its worth I've had that problem using a fireface 800.

It sometimes goes away enough for me to at least get the project playing by switching to the internal crappy sound card then back.

Try resetting the audio card.

Hey man,....you said you're desperate!

I am really hating this error too as well as the system overload where I know there's NO way I am overloading the machine.

Give it a go

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...