Holes - Original Song

Npeffer

Hey folks. This is my first submission to the Listening Booth. I've only put together a few songs so far and I'm realizing how difficult it is to get a good mix that sounds full and well balanced.

This is a song that I've been working on over the past few weeks. Please let me know what you think and what I can do to improve the sound, my singing, my musicianship, recording, mixing, EQing, etc.

Thanks!

Would it be the same to assign a pan to each drum within Ultrabeat instead of assigning them to different tracks?

What is the point of breaking the loop? Should I be changing the pan or something else with each iteration of the beat, or do you just mean change up the beat some so it's not the same thing over and over?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Great feel to it! I love the song - just needs mixing. (I listened through my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones on my macbook…not monitors, but very neutral and accurate)

I agree to pan the drums track. Maybe, also send it to a bus to compress the other tracks so that they sit better in the mix and you can hear them better.

Also in the vocals, I like the feeling that the effect gives it, but the echo loses some of the verbal enunciation (I can understand 90% of the lyrics). You can pan each vocal track to the right, and pan the effect to the left. Then from there, slightly adjust the wetness/dryness on the effect side if needed. This will keep the vocals from clashing.

Good creativity! Mixing is the only thing missing. Definitely suitable for a movie soundtrack.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems odd to me to pan the bass drum. I've added some panning to the cymbals and clicks but it sounds quite off to put the bass to one side. Same with vocals - it sounds good to put the main vocal at about +3-6 and the effect at -15 but any farther than that and it doesn't sound right.

http://soundcloud.com/techn1calsupport/holes-1

Here it is with some edits made. The panning definitely brought out a little more definition to the different instruments, especially in the last part of the song, but I'm not sure where to really go from here.

If anyone would be willing to give it a few tweaks, I'd be willing to post my project file, and of course more suggestions are appreciated.