Auxes really not working...tried all suggestions

Dante310

Hey guys...I don't know what is going on but even after trying a number of suggestions i've received here, i still cannot get multi output ultrabeat auxes to function at all.

I tried what is in this thread: http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=5345&highlight=voice

as well as a thread I started on this topic about a month ago. When I open a multi channel ultrabeat, and route, say, the kick to channels 3-4, and either create a new aux or use an existing one in the environment, and select Instrument 1-->Ultrabeat 3-4 as the input for the aux, everything goes silent (whatever i route to the aux is completely muted). ive checked to make sure my auxes are routed to output 1-2, and that i am choosing the right instrument in the aux input menu- to simplify things i've tried just doing this when instrument 1 is my only instrument with anything loaded, a multi-channel ultrabeat. someone please help, this is becoming a big problem from a mixing point of view...

using logic 7.2.3 on a mac book pro.

ARRRRRGH!!!

Let's look at the basics. Are your Drums going to be in STEREO on the final mix?? (I will guess YES) Ok, Ultrabeat has a little pan pot and each individual drum can have its own spot with its own effects in the stereo field. Simply open up the Ultrabeat window and between the Mute/ Solo and the Output selection (leave it set to main) you will find the L/R panpot. ANYTHING you want to do with the drums can be done within the Ultrabeat window. Why go through all the trouble of separating out each drum only to mix it all back to stereo again? The old way with a drum machine (or a real drummer) and a mixer may have made sense when trying to add special effects and sidechain, but ultrabeat is already to that point.

Take some time to learn how to manipulate Ultrabeat, it will be worth the trouble.

Mark

Edited by shivermetimbers

ARRRRRGH!!!

Let's look at the basics. Are your Drums going to be in STEREO on the final mix?? (I will guess YES) Ok, Ultrabeat has a little pan pot and each individual drum can have its own spot with its own effects in the stereo field. Simply open up the Ultrabeat window and between the Mute/ Solo and the Output selection (leave it set to main) you will find the L/R panpot. ANYTHING you want to do with the drums can be done within the Ultrabeat window. Why go through all the trouble of separating out each drum only to mix it all back to stereo again? The old way with a drum machine (or a real drummer) and a mixer may have made sense when trying to add special effects and sidechain, but ultrabeat is already to that point.

Take some time to learn how to manipulate Ultrabeat, it will be worth the trouble.

Mark

First off let me say I appreciate the help. But i don't really get why me wanting auxes, which are supposed to be a basic and standard part of logic, to work, is frustrating. :)

I do hip hop production and for drums i like extremely diverse sounds. I may want to put a particular multipressor setting on my kicks while putting a different sample delay and compression setting on some or all of my snares, and so on for the whole drumset (i will typically use upwards of 16 voices per song, minimum). i dont understand how i could do those things as you've described, but maybe i'm missing something...i mean believe me, i pan my sounds all over the place, but i dont see how that would help me put a different effect on each sound.

Dante,

Sorry for the confusion...

It is exactly like OmegaAlpha described.

Start fresh

1. Open the arrange windows (forget wires and cables)

2. Set the channel up as an Audio Instrument

3. In the Track window select UltraBeat (As a Multi-Inst - NOT as a stereo inst...this is important!!!)

4. At this point, open Ultrabeat and make a simple drum patten with Bass drum, Snare, HiHat, and a woodblock (just to keep this simple for now) and run the sequencer.

5 Okay, change the BassD output to 3/4, the Snare to 5/6, the HH to 7/8, and the WoodBlk to 9/10

6. Go to the Environment window :D

7. Look at the Instrument track and you will see your drum pattern playing.

8. Scroll over to the Aux mixer section way down to the right, and look at Aux 1 :) Assign the I/O to Inst 1/Ultrabeat 3/4 (if the aux channel is set to mono then you have the choice of Ultrabeat 3 etc...) :shock: :wink: :P

Add the effects you want in the Aux channels and mix away. You can add more Aux channels if needed but you only have 16 outputs for all 25 sounds.

There is a mix of the screens. I wish you success.

Mark

298494577_Picture8.png.cedecba0dbc8e4da57e8837be30eda49.png

First off let me say I appreciate the help. But i don't really get why me wanting auxes, which are supposed to be a basic and standard part of logic, to work, is frustrating. :)

I do hip hop production and for drums i like extremely diverse sounds. I may want to put a particular multipressor setting on my kicks while putting a different sample delay and compression setting on some or all of my snares, and so on for the whole drumset (i will typically use upwards of 16 voices per song, minimum). i dont understand how i could do those things as you've described, but maybe i'm missing something...i mean believe me, i pan my sounds all over the place, but i dont see how that would help me put a different effect on each sound.

Here's a few things to think about.... After routing the sounds to an aux, If you are trying to hear the sounds by playing the key in UB, you won't hear it. The only way at this point is to either just play the sequence or use your physical keyboard to trigger the UB sounds.

Another thing is that stereo sounds in UB will only remain so if they are NOT panned hard left or right and if they get to use both sides of the output pair, i.e. 3-4 or 5-6 and if the Aux they're routed to is also stereo. What the panning accomplishes is to put the sound on one side of that output pair, which can then be accessed via a mono Aux (which can itself be panned.)

You can change a mono Aux to a stereo one by clicking the circle at the bottom of the Aux channel, then the Aux can access the UB outputs as stereo pairs. In this way, you could assign several sounds, premixed in UB to one stereo aux and whatever panning is in UB will be preserved at the Aux. From the Aux you can now apply effects to that whole part of the mix.

Mono Auxes will only be able to access one side of the stereo output.

If you want a sound to be strictly mono going into the aux, pan it hard right or left and use a mono Aux to access one side or the other of that stereo pair, like 3 from output 3-4.

The input menu for the Auxes is found under the button below "I/O" on the Aux channel strip. You'll find the UB outputs under "Instrument x" in the menu.

Dante,

Sorry for the confusion...

It is exactly like OmegaAlpha described.

Start fresh

1. Open the arrange windows (forget wires and cables)

2. Set the channel up as an Audio Instrument

3. In the Track window select UltraBeat (As a Multi-Inst - NOT as a stereo inst...this is important!!!)

4. At this point, open Ultrabeat and make a simple drum patten with Bass drum, Snare, HiHat, and a woodblock (just to keep this simple for now) and run the sequencer.

5 Okay, change the BassD output to 3/4, the Snare to 5/6, the HH to 7/8, and the WoodBlk to 9/10

6. Go to the Environment window :D

7. Look at the Instrument track and you will see your drum pattern playing.

8. Scroll over to the Aux mixer section way down to the right, and look at Aux 1 :) Assign the I/O to Inst 1/Ultrabeat 3/4 (if the aux channel is set to mono then you have the choice of Ultrabeat 3 etc...) :shock: :wink: :P

Add the effects you want in the Aux channels and mix away. You can add more Aux channels if needed but you only have 16 outputs for all 25 sounds.

There is a mix of the screens. I wish you success.

Mark

hey mark, thanks a lot for the help. i finally got them working but here was the problem, as i think the guy below you mentioned; you have to actually have ultrabeat playing within the arrange window, and not just within the ultrabeat step sequencer, to get aux sound. that probably seems really obvious to a logic vet but i guess i just overlooked that- :oops: . anyway thanks again for the help