Disabling plug-ins and latency[SOLVED]

ChrisNinety

Hopefully this is a simple one: does disabling or bypassing a plug-in remove its latency in all cases, even if the plug-in leverages a hardware card?

I ask because I have an intermittent problem where tracks I record are occasionally slightlu out of time and I have to nudge them backward. But it only happens very rarely, and only after I've piled a bunch of plug-ins on the project (including UAD ones, so a lot of latency there), so I've never been able to track it down. When I track, I'm using direct monitoring from my 1620i, and I usually click the low-latency button, if it doesn't destroy the monitor mix I have going.

In a complete project with maybe 20 audio tracks, I'd say this ends up happening on 1 or 2 of them at some point in the tracking. But I tend to mix as I track, so as the track count grows, so do the number of plug-ins! It happens so rarely, though, that I almost wonder if one particular plug-in is reporting its latency wrong, or maybe UAD is incorrectly calculating the overall latency for the workload of the card in certain cases? So, I'm hoping disabling any of the more questionable plug-ins manually will perhaps avoid the problem from rearing its ugly head!

Thanks!

Hopefully this is a simple one: does disabling or bypassing a plug-in remove its latency in all cases, even if the plug-in leverages a hardware card?

Bypassing does NOT remove the plug-in's latency. If it did, you wouldn't be able to automate plug-in bypassing. It would just be a mess. Low Latency Mode DOES disable the plug-in, as though it wasn't there at all. Be sure you have the limit set in your prefs to something you can live with.

Final mixing while tracking is a chore for any DAW, including PTHD. Try to use lean plugs while you're getting things together, then bring in the big guns later.

This is great to know, thank you! All this time I thought disabling the plug-in removed the latency, but it makes complete sense why it doesn't.

I'll continue to resist the urge to use my nice stuff while tracking and make use of the low latency button instead of wasting any time manually bypassing. Thanks!

-C