Trouble Import/Exporting Midi between Notation programs

JanekChojnowski

Hi

I'm trying to find a easy and accurate way of importing notation into Logic Pro from other notation software (Sibelius, Finale, Notation Composer, etc.)

Midi being the only way I have tried so far with unsatisfactory results, moving notes around and splitting voices etc. Is there a plugin or settings I can change to make it easier to move notation between programs, or even a different, more accurate format.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OK, close that Logic project, but leave Logic running. From Logic's File menu, choose Open and navigate to your MIDI file.

This is the only method that reads tempo and other global MIDI file data. Dragging it in or using the Import command assumes you want the file to adopt current project settings. This is not what you want in this case.

Thanks, the seemed to help a bit with note placement. But, the key of the piece, grace notes, triplets etc. aren't displayed in the arranged window, it is also still splitting voices.

I know that some of these things can't be saved into midi, is there another format I could use that does, or another way of saving the midi file?

I know that some of these things can't be saved into midi, is there another format I could use that does, or another way of saving the midi file?

You are completely at the mercy of how the original sequencer program interprets its own data and how it formats the resulting MIDI file. For example, if the sequence has key changes, does the app just display the data differently or does it actually transpose the notes and include that in its export? So your question is better suited for forums specific to those applications. Even at that, there are lots of things MIDI files cannot do. No matter what, you'll be doing a lot of tweaking after the fact.

There are various experimental music XML file types around, but if your notation software can't export to them, and Logic can't read them, it won't do you much good.