Connecting MicroKorg to Logic/MacBook

Brown Fox

Hello all, can someone expain me how to get an external Keyboard hooked up with my Laptop to play logic samples + software synths? I have a MicroKorg synth which i connected with a midicable to my M-Audio 2x2 interface, this goes via USB to my MacBook. I installed all the drivers too. Now I've tried to open some software synths in the global mixer and created a note-bar in the arrange window. When i doubleclick this window I'm able to trigger sounds on the virtual (small vertical) keyboard, but nothing happens if I press the keys of my Korg. What am i doing wrong? Do I have to configurate something? Or any settings I'm not aware of? Thanks for your help! I'm new to all this :roll:

Thanks,

Jessica

You should not have to configure anything. The only thing to do is to make sue the Instrument track on which you've inserted your virtual instrument plug-in is rec-armed (Red R button) in the Arrange window.

You can open a Transport window to troubleshoot: it features a little MIDI Monitor on the right, which should show you MIDI events when you hit a key on the Korg.

Hmm, still nothing happening. I can not see any response in The Transport window either. What about this Midi control panel in the System folder? Do I have to setup my M-Audio interface or Microkorg there somehow? I seem to have connected everyhing correct so I really don't know what to do anymore... Maybe some wrong settings on Microkorg? Switch is on Midi, Channel selected: 1.

Thanks for help!

i'm getting really frustrated here. Still doesn't seem to work. :( I changed the connection as you suggested. Indeed the connection went from SUM to the keyboard. However i can't notice any midi communication. If I open the Transform window there's no window which would show notes. I start wondering if I should reinstall Logic or check whether my M-Audio interface is damaged. Or is there any way I can see whether the Midi signal reaches my laptop other than the Transform window?

do you see a midi signal on the transport in logic when you hit a key?

in your audio/midi setup utility make sure the system see's the device. If you don't create a new midi instrument there and assign it to your m-audio device ports.

make sure you run the set up assistant, this is the easiest way to get logic communicating with your midi device, when you get to the page in the assistant to configure your midi, and you don't see the m-audio ports available, then something regarding the set up or drivers of the midi interface aren't set right...

I used to use a MicroKorg with my rig and was able to get it working properly, so compatibility isn't the issue... could be the m-audio, I can't stand their crap for this reason, always a pain in the ass and never reliable.

Edited by Colinc

Do you have GarageBand? If you do, open it and you should have a default song open with a piano track. Playing your keyboard should produce piano notes. If it doesn't, that means no MIDI is reaching the software.

In that case I would try to reinstall the latest drivers for your type of machine (Intel processor, OS X...), you will find them on M-Audio's website.

Don't be frustrated: it's a little annoying at first to not have things work right away, but... it's normal. You are just missing one piece of the pie (it could be the driver, could be the interface, could be the cable, could be the keyboard... but most likely it is the driver).

Just go through the steps, you'll make it work.