Scoring recorded audio ??

bammbammrawks

There's "audio to score" but it only works with monophonic lines, and, isn't always 100% accurate (results almost always must be tweaked). Otherwise, if you're talking about taking an audio track, like a mix, and doing "mix to score", there's no such thing in Logic or even in this known universe. If you want your music scored (i.e., notation) you have to transcribe it.

There's "audio to score" but it only works with monophonic lines, and, isn't always 100% accurate (results almost always must be tweaked). Otherwise, if you're talking about taking an audio track, like a mix, and doing "mix to score", there's no such thing in Logic or even in this known universe. If you want your music scored (i.e., notation) you have to transcribe it.

Hmmmm...

www.intelliscore.net/faq.html

Thanks for pointing that out. The "known universe" I mentioned doesn't include the parallel universe of the PC world, for which intelliscore is exclusively available, and which I don't keep tabs on. But I read the FAQ, and it mentions a 35% "savings" in the amount of time needed to transcribe music the ol' fashioned way. To me, that's not much of a savings if you still need to do the other 65% by hand.

But in any event, glad you found a potential and "other worldly" solution to the OP's question. :)

Thanks for pointing that out. The "known universe" I mentioned doesn't include the parallel universe of the PC world, for which intelliscore is exclusively available, and which I don't keep tabs on. But I read the FAQ, and it mentions a 35% "savings" in the amount of time needed to transcribe music the ol' fashioned way. To me, that's not much of a savings if you still need to do the other 65% by hand.

But in any event, glad you found a potential and "other worldly" solution to the OP's question. :)

Not to mention it's for PC's or Virtual PC for Mac.

eeeeeeyuk

OMG -- Virtual PC for Mac? Shiver me timbers indeed!! Raise the spinakker and hoist the mainsail matey, it's time to set sail far from these shores!

As someone who's been transcribing music all his life, I find it hard to believe that any software would do a great job at this. I'd have to see it in operation to be convinced. The 65:35 ratio doesn't seem too great. Just musing here, but if you can't read or transcribe music yourself, then how would you know if the score produced by this kind of software is even accurate? Seems like a catch-22 to me. I dunno... like I said, I've have to see it to believe it.

Yarr!

Personally, I find it hard to believe that one day, some serious software won't be able to transcribe complex polyphonic audio into MIDI. However, I doubt that day has come, and I although I haven't seen that software work, I am as sceptic as the others.

In my opinion, one day some serious manufacturer (Apple, Roland, Melodyne, Ableton, Steinberg, Digidesign...) is going to come out with a product like that and roll out a big parade at NAMM or something, and it will STILL be far from perfect. Then it is going to improve over the years. Kinda like pitch shifting, or formant shifting technologies. At first everybody said: "you can't change the pitch of audio without changing its speed". Then someone came out with an algorithm that did just that, but sounded like crap. several years later, we've come a long way, and those technologies are used on commercial recordings, although they still have a long way to go!

Still, I find it very encouraging that there are already developers brave enough to research that avenue (and I would love a demo).

Guys, think about what you are asking the software to do. You are asking i.e. for it to examine an orchestral piece and decide which notes are being played by a flute or oboe 1 or oboe 2 violin, viola, etc. and create midi notes for discrete parts.

A separated 5 part sax section maybe but then what if it is mixed with tpts. bones, etc.?

I don't think this is a reasonable thing to expect software ever to be able to do. There are just too many variables.

Thank you everyone ... but you know it is the 21st centry and I thought by now I would have a computer that I could talk with (like star trek), a flying car and at least a way to get live audio to to be score via computer,

Oh well ...

Cheers

Bamm :shock: :lol:

I definitely thought that by now we would all have our little individual space ships, kinda like in the 5th element. We've been cheated. We're still 4 wheels on the ground. It's soooo '68.

I don't think this is a reasonable thing to expect software ever to be able to do. There are just too many variables.

Well too many variables mean that current computers can't handle that many variables. Future computers will. It's like predicting earthquakes for example. Right now it doesn't make any sense to even think we will, one day, predict earthquakes. And yet who knows, with fast enough computers, maybe we will.

I don't think we're anywhere close to a software that takes an audio file and gives you a full score with instrument parts and names. But I think slowly we'll see sofwares that can convert audio to MIDI with 2 lines of polyphony (and probably at first the software won't tell what belong to which line, but it will be able to interpret two separate pitches at once), then 3... and so on.

It's like current pitch tracking software. It doesn't work with any kind of material you throw at it (hard to tell the pitch of a screaming hard-rock singer), but.. it's pretty freakin' impressive already!!