Trying to refamiliarize myself with logic.

slinksta

Hi there,

i am a advanced cubase SX user having trouble using logic 5.5.

I learnt how to use logic 6 on mac at SAE.

Problem is i have a PC and it only goes up to 5.5.

I have some upcoming sessions in some studios running Logic 7 on Macs, but wanted to give myself a basic re-familiarize with logic so i would be competent in the professional studios...

Some things i can do in seconds in cubse seem to elude me in logic 5.5. If anybody could help me i would be very appreciative...

Questions

1. How do I double click on instrument in arrange page to get VST showing?

2. How do I create and route multi channel VST’s in Logic?

3. How do I do permanent bypass of Plug-ins?

4. How do I record automation and watch what I’m doing?

5. How do I make VST or plug – in window stay on top (show at all times)?

6. How do I start recording from 1st bar instead of “pre-bar”?

7. How do I add swing to notes?

8. How do I time stretch loops?

9. How do I load EXS sampler instruments properly?

10. How do I turn snap on and off?

11. How does “learn” sampler instrument self contain samples? Ie. Where does it store samples? If I was to give project to someone else, how would I make sure that sampler instrument samples were included?

12. How do I self contain project (ie. Make sure all included samples are included?

13. Where does Logic store files seen in audio window? How do I self contain these files? Eg. Bring them into project folder from various locations?

14. How do I get exs 24 sampler or any synths piano matrix to highlight keypad when pressed? And play note….(to audition right sample).

15. How do I record automation for plugs? (including plugs on busses….

16. How do I make another instrument/audio track in arrange (without referencing to same track)? ie. whenever i create a new track in the arrange for a track or instrument it just duplicates the last selected track and its properties (no data co[pied though). I have lots of audio adn instrument objects in their respective environments, just cant create new tracks to assign them to!

OK.. that's a LOT of questions. I suggest you start first searching this forum, or your electronic PDF manual for answers, maybe buy a book and/or attend a workshop (we offer some here in L.A.: http://logicprohelp.com/training.php).

Then if you still have questions you can ask them here (limit them to one per thread) and people including myself will help you. But right now what you are asking for is a free private lesson!

Thanks david,

yes i have searched through the PDF, asked friends (who are usually too busy) and the like but its the doing that actually helps me to learn.

I'm sorry it was so many questions...i just write them in a word doc when i'm working on my current project.

The 3 mian questions i need answered are:

8. How do I time stretch loops? (As the notes i've taken from audio college for version six, and the notes in the 5.5 pdf don't work. the time and pitch machine require you to know the tempo of the loop originally to change it to the new project tempo. that cant be right....i was originally taught that you work out how many bars the loop is, then cycle that amout of bars, then double click the audio then time and pitch machine...but thats as far as i get. I found it easier to just drag a whole lot of potential loops into sony acid, then export them at the logic project tempo into the project audio folder, but i would much prefer to know how to do in logic...)

16. How do I make another instrument/audio track in arrange (without referencing to same track)? (it seems that when i double click a blank unasigned channel in the arrange, it just duplicates the last selected channel (inst/or audio) and its properties (although not the actual data). I have lots of audio objects and instruments in their respective environments waiting to be assigned, but cant bring up new channels in the arrange to assign them to...)

2. How do I create and route multi channel VST’s in Logic?(i use battery and stylus for my drums alot and like to use the multi outputs so i can process the singular parts of my drum kits on the way to the final output. ie. different EQ and compressors for each bit of kit. In cubase when you assign a multi VST it just gives you that many outputsin the mixer, and then you just assign the outputs to them from battery or stylus. To do this in Logic seems impossible...

anyway david sorry for taking up too much of your time....if you feel like answering any of these three id be stoked!

If not i understand, we are all busy...

To check out some of my songs made in cubase, reasona dn logic, check out www.myspace.com/slinksta

thanks for your help,

Joey

I was searching for a topic on multi-channel audio, and I know where you're coming from.. I'm a regular Cubase user myself, and a few projects demanded I use Logic, so I did...

Man.. You have to create and assign auxillary objects manually to the outputs of the insutrments. Moreover, if you're an Express user like me, you're limited to 8 aux objects altogether! That's LESS than Battery ALONE provides you with!

And being a house drums junkie, I like to compress and process drums in multiple layers, so I end up using almost all of the Battery outputs, or if that's not enough, I load up another copy of Battery for twice the processing goodness. No can do in Logic!

Ah... I like it in many other ways though.. I wish that one thing was there ..