Editing Seperately Captured Audio and Video LEx.9-FCP5

dride

I'm trying to shoot music instructional videos where I record the audio in Logic Express 9, separately from the video. I have Final Cut Pro5. I don't have a Sync/SMPTE device. I need to merge the audio and video so they can be edited as connected tracks. Can I import a video from FCP5 into Logic Ex.9 and put it on the timeline with the audio tracks and edit? Other option: Can I merge video with audio in Logic then send as a movie to FCP to be edited there? I pretty sure I can use a visual cue on video to manually sync video to audio, to deal with sync issue.

Any other suggestions info. welcomed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:07 pm Post subject: : Editing Seperately Captured Audio and Video LEx.9-FCP5 Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying, import the video into Logic, then save as a new movie in Logic, with new audio replacing what was on the old video (on board camera mic.audio)? I can choose to replace or overwrite the audio during the new movie save? Then I import back to FCP for editing?

FCP merges/links audio and video, to edit as one piece (with option to separate as well)

Mac Pro Dual Core 2.66 Proces., 1G of RAM, OSX 10.5.8, Logic Express 9.1.5, Apogee Rosetta 800 w/ Fire wire Card, Final Cut Pro 5.1.4

Edited by dride

You can't edit video in Logic, you need a video editing app for that. I think Final Cut Pro should allow you to do that though? Not sure, not a Final Cut expert unfortunately.

Can I merge video with audio in Logic then send as a movie to FCP to be edited there?

You can't "merge" audio and video, but you can save a new video file that contains the audio file as an audio track. Wether or not Final Cut will let you edit both simultaneously is another question, for another forum... (if I had the answer I would share it).

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying, import the video into Logic, then save as a new movie in Logic, with new audio replacing what was on the old video (on board camera mic.audio)? I can choose to replace or overwrite the audio during the new movie save? Then I import back to FCP for editing?

FCP merges/links audio and video, to edit as one piece (with option to separate as well)

Do you know if FCP requires you to have the audio as an embedded track of the Quicktime movie in order to allow you to link them? Because if it doesn't, none of the process we're discussing in Logic would be necessary.

Otherwise, yes, everything you describe in your last post should work.