I Mapped the Tempo to Audio FIle, Now what to do?

Noelb

Hello, I can't figure out how to make an audio track comply to tempo changes after tempo-mapping it.

The Context:

I often begin creating a song through ad-lib playing, either in a jam solo playing. NEVER with a metronome, and often just recorded with a portable device.

I would then like to import this "idea" file into Logic and build a real, fully finished piece around it, or most of the time by recreating it completely. Nonetheless, I want this idea file properly lined up in Logic with tempo that matches.

So 1) I Import the Audio file into Logic, and 2) I map the tempo to this file. Obviously, the mapped tempo is all over the place, often jumping by 3 to 10 BPM within a short number of measures.

So now comes the challenge. I then want to use a more fixed or stable tempo throughout the song to start building the proper piece. So, How can I then go from the mapped tempo track to a new, or fixed-up tempo track, and have the initial audio track follow? it doesn't have to be perfect, but close enough for me to use it as a guide track?

Thanks in advance.

I think the step of beat mapping is good to establish your starting tempo, and also to see what the "average" tempo is for the whole piece (you can figure this out by deleting all beatmapping lines between the first and last ones and then look at the resulting tempo in the tempo list or the global tempo track). So let's say you've decided on a tempo. At that point you should delete ALL beat mapping lines, and all tempo events except for the first one in the list; that one should be set to the tempo you want for the piece. Then, use Flex to conform your audio guide track to the fixed tempo.

Thanks for this. Now, is there any way for me to pin a few of the transients to certain grid lines BEFORE removing the beat-maping interim values. The goal is then for Flex-time to "automatically" line up my audio to beats as I switch to a fixed tempo, rather than do so manually after the fact?