Apple Pro Training Guide Martin Sitter - Help me

mikehurst

I have found Martin Sitter's Apple Pro Training Series Guide to be extremely frustrating. It is very well written, and I love the detail of basic work skills and the screen shots provided. However I have run into a major string of problems.

Running a Powerbook G4 with 1.25 GB ram, Logic Pro 7.1.1

1) When the book told me to pick the channel strip setting Bass06>Deep Synth Bass>Deep House, I realized that my program was missing the entire Deep Synth Bass Folder. I went to an apple store and had one of the employees burn the folder for me.

2) After loading it appropriately, I used the channel strip setting, to find out that my EXS24 sampler has no presets.

3) Further into the book , I have found that in the audio window, when I click add audio file, and choose the provided mp3 file from siiter's cd, the program gives me an error message saying that it cant read the file... when the book states that Logic should automatically convert it to aiff.

4) Sitter's Book tells me to practice auditioning my audio regions in the audio window by clicking and holding the mouse...yet I get no sound. Also, when I try to scrub audio with my solo tool, I get no play back.

It seems that every lesson, I go sailing along and then hit a wall where my program doesnt agree with the book. I attempted a fresh reinstall following the directions posted on apples site, and now I cant get the program to load audio instruments into my insert. The appropriate folders are in my library>application support>Logic>Plug in Settings folder, yet the program no longer can load them into the insert slot.

Do I need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of the program? It's frustrating to have spent $1,000 on a program and not be able to learn how to use it, with a apple certified book. I hope that I am at fault, and the program doesnt really have this many bugs.

Has anyone else had problems with this training guide? :( :( :(

Well first let me say that you should definitely NOT have all those problems. I teach that book to a classroom full of students on a regular basis and, while there are a couple of problems here and there (like, when trying to record audio, Logic says 'Blah Blah volume not found' because Martin Sitter saved the song with a record path pointing to his own personal hard drive), I have not experienced any of the problems you mention.

1) & 2) indicate a problem with your installation of Logic. You should not need to reformat your drive... did you install both Logic DVDs?

3) That should work fine. What happens if you try this with another mp3 file on your drive?

4) That should also work: when you click-hold in the audio window, there is a little delay. Same thing with the solo tool. Click-hold for a while and be patient.

Also make sure you have the book's file on your hard drive before working with them (don't try to work from the DVD).

Pretty sure I installed both dvds. Went ahead and reinstalled the content dvd right now. Still no plug-ins available and still no inputs available, yet i can find them in my hard drive library. I was able to use them before the uninstall/reinstall that I got from the apple website.

As far as scrubbing...I can hold the speaker icon down on the region for 30 seconds and no sound.

The apple pro training guide has been saved as a folder in my hard drive, Ive been sourcing hte mp3 files and lessons from there.

If I try importing a mp3 from my itunes folder via the audio window...it gives me the same error message "Skipping file "07 Why U turn on me.mp3" because it can't be read. Also when I click play before adding the mp3's to the audio window, they plaay fine. Just wont import them. I can import by dragging and dropping to the audio window, but I'd like it to work the way its supposed to.

Any other suggestions? I followed the reinstallation instructions carefully on the apple website, but do you think I messed that up somehow maybe?>

Thanks for you help!!!

Pretty sure I installed both dvds. Went ahead and reinstalled the content dvd right now. Still no plug-ins available and still no inputs available, yet i can find them in my hard drive library. I was able to use them before the uninstall/reinstall that I got from the apple website.

As far as scrubbing...I can hold the speaker icon down on the region for 30 seconds and no sound.

The apple pro training guide has been saved as a folder in my hard drive, Ive been sourcing hte mp3 files and lessons from there.

If I try importing a mp3 from my itunes folder via the audio window...it gives me the same error message "Skipping file "07 Why U turn on me.mp3" because it can't be read. Also when I click play before adding the mp3's to the audio window, they plaay fine. Just wont import them. I can import by dragging and dropping to the audio window, but I'd like it to work the way its supposed to.

Any other suggestions? I followed the reinstallation instructions carefully on the apple website, but do you think I messed that up somehow maybe?>

Thanks for you help!!!

I also teach from the Sitter book, at UCLA Extension, and I do not have the problems you are having.

Selected built in audi, and now I get play back when scrubbing!! :D . Why was I getting the rest of the program to play back audio through my monitors but just not the scrubbing? Also I still dont have any inputs or plug ins available. When I choose from the channel strip settings, it assigns plug ins and inputs for me, but they still have diagonal lines across them.

Some drivers don't support scrubbing: what audio interface do you use?

The strike through the plug-in usually indicates a problem with your driver: does it happen even with the "built-in" driver selected in Audio > Audio Hardware and Drivers and the 'Enabled' checkbox checked? Unless we are talking about 3rd party plug-ins here?

I wasnt getting the diagonal strike the plug in before I did my reinstall. Im using a presonus firepod for my interface. The audio instruments used to play back fine through my firepod to my monitors. Just the scrubbing didnt work. Looks like my presets are working again actually.....

<

>>

This is a known bug in Logic 7.1 (fixed in 7.2).

When importing an mp3, Logic has to convert and create an aif file. It will only do this once. If there already is a file with the name "mymp3.aif" ( because you managed to do it by drag-drop in the Arrange window) and you try to import the mp3 again it just says ".... file can't be read".

Furthermore, as of Logic 7.2.1, Logic can play certain types of mp3 without converting to aif.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Logic_Pro_7.2_lbn_z.pdf

HTH

J

Thanks everyone, youve been really helpfull.

So Now I have my scrubbing and solo tools working fine through my presonus firepod, and out my monitors. The Mp3 import problem seems to be answered by the need for an update. I have the deep synth bass folder now.

Only One thing left....still no presets when I click the downward arrow in my EXS24.

When I check in Library>App support>Logic>Sampler Instruments , I see all the appropriate folders, and inside them are their .exs files. Yet when in Logic, if I pull down the drop menu from the EXS24 that lookslike a downward pointing arrow, the only options available are previous setting, and next setting. Also interesting is the fact that certain channel strip settings will load the exs24 along with one of its settings. Why nothing in the drop down menu?

That's what I made the 'patronizing tone' joke: there really seem to be no logic for it at first glance, and it's not really intuitive (I remember asking myself the same question).

But in fact it does make sense, sort of. The sampler plays back instruments, and those instruments are then tweaked by a filter, modulations, envelopes.... So if you want, in a way, which instrument the sampler plays is just a fraction of the setting: it's comparable to which waveform you're starting with on the ES2. You still have to determine your filter and modulation settings. The whole ensemble of all those parameters constitutes a setting.

So why no presets in the EXS24 window? Well, because to confuse matters a little further, you can actually save all the modulation and filter settings to the instrument! So basically, in the end, on the EXS24, your settings are found in the instrument menu, and you can pretty much forget about the setting menu.

Hope that made a little bit of sense.

So confused... :? ....so the EXS24 sampler takes an instrument and then tweaks it...and the settings are saved respectively to that instrument. Where as the other audio instruments are just one instrument.....and you tweak that instrument to make different kinds of sounds....so their are no instruments to pick from, just settings of that one instrument? and then with the EXS24 you dont pick from the settings, because they dont mean anything without being assigned to a particular instrument?

• 4 months later...
<

>>

This is a known bug in Logic 7.1 (fixed in 7.2).

HTH

J

Yeah, I have this bug too in Logic 7.1.1. I can't even open up the mp3 in the tutorial (page 155). It just says "Skipping file 'Beat.mp3' because it can't be read." Furthermore, Logic will only convert one mp3 to AIFF and open it up in arrange and then doesn't convert any future mp3s at all.

So because there's a known bug, do I get a free upgrade or do I have to pay an additional $300 on top of the $1,000 because Logic 7.1.1 has a bug? And once I upgrade to Logic 7.2.something, should I pay another $300 once I find another bug?