New Logic/Mac User: Lion or Snow Leopard?

turbojh

Good Morning,

I'm new to the forum and new to Logic and using a Mac for my studio, but needed to know if the majority of Logic users are sticking with Snow Leopard until certain Lion bugs and restrictions and driver issues are resolved, or are people using Lion exclusively now that it is available? I want to use certain plugins and softeware like the Fxpansion VST to AU adapter...

If anyone has any thoughts I would be grateful...was thinking about setting up a Snow Leopard partition on my MacBook Pro for doing my music stuff.

sincerely,

Jeff

Just a point you may have overlooked... and it is an all too common oversight from the various posts and comments I see/hear... so just in case you didn't realize this...

The VST to AU adapter ONLY converts Mac VST's to AUs.. It does not handle Windows VSTs... and as almost every Mac VST is available as an AU then really it has little use or benefit these days it seems.

As to your questions..

Running Lion here with Logic 9.1.5 in 64bit mode and having no real issues of any consequence... There are still a few plugins I use that are still 32bit only and for those the built in 32-64bit Logic bridge software works ok.. though it does have a tendency to 'die' every so often.. especially if you don't do anything in Logic for a while.. but a quick restart of the bridge works so it's more a niggle than a major annoyance... and this particular issue exists under SL as well as Lion when running Logic in 64bit mode to be able to benefit from any memory above 4GB.

Of course, if you wanted to you can still run Logic in 32bit mode and avoid using the 32-64 bridge anyhow... so that's not really an issue with Lion as again, the same applied to SL too!

My Motu Ultralite's drivers work perfectly under Lion so no issues there... and I have not had any showstopping Logic bugs of note, under Lion that were not presence under SL too... though some seem to have had a few issues with Flex Time but so far I haven't come across them myself.

All in all.. now software plugins are catching up... and a good number of Audio interfaces are Lion compatible, I think it's a pretty reliable option to go to Lion these days... but the choice, of course, is always the end user's...

...needed to know if the majority of Logic users are sticking with Snow Leopard until certain Lion bugs and restrictions and driver issues are resolved, or are people using Lion exclusively now that it is available?

I don't think it's possible to determine a consensus on which OS people are using with respect to Logic. What I can suggest is that you should go with a sure thing, and right now that seems to be Snow Leopard. Personally I can't see the benefits in working with an OS which will potentially produce conflicts. There's only one colleague of mine who has switched to Lion but he's not exactly raving about it. When it comes to Logic, I don't think there are any known improvements running it under Lion.

Here's my suggestion: assess what 3rd party plugins you MUST use in conjunction with Logic and then research them to see if they're Lion compatible or not. If they're not then hold off until they are.

+1 to Ski's comments...

However, if one only has one computer and wants to fully benefit from things like iCloud and other Lion specific advances over SL.. when not working with Logic.. then I see that as a reasonable reason (???) to upgrade so long as everything you wish to use, will work under Lion.

For those using a dedicated Mac for Logic.. then at this time I see no real benefits to upgrading to Lion over SL because there are no Logic specific benefits in doing so (Yet!) If they update Logic to use iCloud or something else which requires Lion to be installed.. then, that is when I'd take a second look.

I updated to Lion on my old iMac because I have clients who have done so (or have bought new Macs that already have Lion installed and it is tricky to backdate those to SL) and i wanted to be able to assist with any troubleshooting that they might require of me.. while at the same time keeping a SL partition for going back to SL when needed...

I have found that in the last couple of weeks.. I have not needed to go back to SL at all and I am using Lion on my new iMac and MMS without issue so i will probably delete my SL partition shortly... and only reinstall it when needed by another client.

Edited by n6smith

...needed to know if the majority of Logic users are sticking with Snow Leopard until certain Lion bugs and restrictions and driver issues are resolved, or are people using Lion exclusively now that it is available?

I don't think it's possible to determine a consensus on which OS people are using with respect to Logic. What I can suggest is that you should go with a sure thing, and right now that seems to be Snow Leopard. Personally I can't see the benefits in working with an OS which will potentially produce conflicts. There's only one colleague of mine who has switched to Lion but he's not exactly raving about it. When it comes to Logic, I don't think there are any known improvements running it under Lion.

Here's my suggestion: assess what 3rd party plugins you MUST use in conjunction with Logic and then research them to see if they're Lion compatible or not. If they're not then hold off until they are.

I could never get my 27" cinema display to stay asleep while logic was playing.. and the damn thing doesn't have a power switch. Under a new install of Lion, finally, that works correctly. I don't know if that was a specific fix or some circumstances unique to my snow leopard install, but for me that is a huge reason to run Lion.

Also, fullscreen support and the plugins explode out when they open, it's the little things