can logic pro automatically detect the speed of audio track

THE HIPPIE

I've found Beat Detection to work pretty well in Logic. I give an example of it in my book to detect the tempo of an acoustic drum recording, and that works perfectly. Of course its results will depend on the material you're analyzing.

Choose Options > Tempo > Adjust Tempo using Beat Detection.

Logic 9 Manual: Using Beat Detection to Create Tempo Changes

Ok.. I was being a bit blunt in my answer because to be honest, I have never found it to be that accurate, especially when dealing with complex audio information (such as entire songs or sections of... or audio without a strong and clear beat) rather than simple drum beats or monophonic lines... so I'll bow to the consensus and change my response to..

It might, depending on your source material.... See above for further info!

:)

I've found Beat Detection to work pretty well in Logic.

I've found that it's pretty much useless :D I guess it's good for simple things like a drum track, but for a full track it's no good.

Adjust Tempo using Region Length and Locators gets it right everytime of course, since you can control the exact start and end points. It's available both in the Arrange window and in the Sample Editor (for even more precision).

The BPM counter - when it's able to analyze correctly - is almost as precise as the above method. But it can be way off on some material.

Beat Detection pretty much sucked in all my tests on a full song.

A fair amount of the work i do involves cutting and editing (and sometimes adding layers) to already existing tracks. So far i have been grievously disappointed with Logic's beat detection functions. The beat detection, never mind giving me wrong information, is yet to actually say anything other than "No tempo located" , and using the regions/locators gives me ridiculous tempo's of 5 or 7 more often than not. I've followed the instructions as per David's post, but nothing.

I've never even seen this options screen before :(

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/Art/S09/S0980_BMR_BeatDetection.png

Does anyone have any idea what i could be doing wrong, or is there something important i'm missing, or what? :|

Does anyone have any idea what i could be doing wrong, or is there something important i'm missing, or what? :|

The only two foolproof ways to determine the tempo of unknown content is the "Set Tempo using Region Length and Locators" and Beatmapping. Anything else relies heavily on there being definitive percussive content present.

A fair amount of the work i do involves cutting and editing (and sometimes adding layers) to already existing tracks. So far i have been grievously disappointed with Logic's beat detection functions. The beat detection, never mind giving me wrong information, is yet to actually say anything other than "No tempo located" , and using the regions/locators gives me ridiculous tempo's of 5 or 7 more often than not. I've followed the instructions as per David's post, but nothing.

I've never even seen this options screen before :(

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/Art/S09/S0980_BMR_BeatDetection.png

Use the menu option quoted by David. Then you may need to click on the little "Advanced" disclosure triangle to reveal the horizontal reliability BPM lanes.

I think the best way to get really accurate results - quickly - is to use Beat Mapping. especially for complex material.

The nest best method - and the best if only an average tempo of a given region is needed, is IMHO to use Adjust Tempo Using Region Length and Locators: just define the length of the loop in Cycle (eg. two bars), and make sure the region starts ad ends where it should start and end.

By selecting the region and then using 'Adjust Tempo Using Region Length and Locators', Logic will find the average tempo and then ask if you want to set the detected tempo globally or not.

Thanks for the reply :)

Is the Region and Locaters method supposed to work with standard audio tracks? The song i've been testing with is 30 Seconds To Mars - Kings and Queens, and it is most definitely not working at the moment (that said, my locater placement might not have been perfect).

It just frustrates me that a program as effective and generally intuitive as Logic seems to be so limited in this department.

I also spent a few minutes trying out the beatmapping, but it was frustratingly unintuitive. Could you suggest any good video tutorials that explain beat-mapping better?

Peace

I don't think Logic is limited in this area... ;-)

You just have to decide whether you want an average tempo of a region (yes, this works perfectly with audio regions) or if you need a tempo map which, in a detailed way, shows all the minor tempo changes in a region.

To start with, I'd try the Region/Locator method if I were you, - just make sure the locators and regions are set correctly.

There are some Beat Mapping tutorials on YouTube. The main thing to remember is that IF the transient are hidden for one reason or another (eg. complex audio material), you can fine tune the placement of the Beat Mapping line by holding down Shift and Control.