Question about Take Folders and Quick Swipe Comping...

joshuac

Hello. Sometimes, after I've comped an entire guitar track, I find a small part that I want to fix. I find that if I do another take, it becomes part of the comp by default, removing what was there previous. So, how can I record small parts without, necessarily, making them part of a new comp. I'd like the newly recorded part to be in the Take folder, in position, and available IF I like it and want to incorporate it. I thought about recording it on another track, or punching in, but I love the auto-crossfading that Quick Swipe comping does. Quick Swipe comping is so much more flexible and convenient than punching or fading to another track. I'm sure you pros have a "best practice" for situations like these. :D

Sometimes if I've got a comp folder on the go I'll just work outside of it via Track > New with Same Channel Strip/Instrument. That way, the new recording will stop the old one from being heard while you're in record mode AND I can fuss with it any way I want - new takes, punch-ins, delete bad ones, adjust region boundaries etc - without worrying about the take folder.

Later when I've got what I want, I'll drop it into the folder. But before I do that, I'll make sure to duplicate the comp from the take folder's menu to avoid the existing comp getting messed up, which happens when you drop new takes in. With a dupe, your safe.

I know that a lot of people record directly to a take folder. I never do that! Not that there's anything bad about it but I prefer the flexibility of working with sub-tracks (same command as above) and then packing it all up when I'm done.

Thanks for the tip. However, if you record on a new track, you still hear whatever is on the old track, no?

Not when you use the command that I indicated, which does not create a separate duplicate track, instead it creates a new version of the same channel strip. In other words, it's the same audio object and all files that live on any of it's "subtracks" will be played by the same channel strip. So when you're about to record, yes, you'll hear the old track up until the moment you punch in or drop into record mode and then you'll only hear the track that's being being recorded.

It seems many people don't know about the usefulness of the Track > New with Same Channel Strip/Instrument command. I have a key command handy so I can just bang those off quickly. And they are very handy for all sorts of things - for audio tracking, for alternate Midi takes, for tracks that contain nothing but controller data and so on.

Hello. Sometimes, after I've comped an entire guitar track, I find a small part that I want to fix. I find that if I do another take, it becomes part of the comp by default, removing what was there previous. So, how can I record small parts without, necessarily, making them part of a new comp. I'd like the newly recorded part to be in the Take folder, in position, and available IF I like it and want to incorporate it.

That annoyed me until I found a pretty easy solution:

When you've done your comp (Comp 1) then duplicate it (Comp 2) from the dropdown menu in the Comp.

Record the new small part. That automatically becomes part of Comp 2, which is annoying.

Simply switch back to Comp 1.

Now you can incorporate the new recording which is ready for you as a take in the folder.

I believe this is what you wanted?