Track volume faders jump erradically

djadonis206

I'm using Logic Pro 9.1.5 on a 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4 with 4 gigs of ram on the Macintosh software 10.6.8

The volume faders on audio and instrument tracks jump up and down sporadically and randomly. I have no midi controllers hooked up and no automation on my tracks.

Example: I'll load a software instrument or compressor. I'll make some change, any change, in the plug-in and then all of a sudden the volume fader on that track might go up a little bit, down a little bit, all the way, or all the way down. Like I said, it's random. However, it does happen ever session, several times a session.

I see someone else had this similar problem but was not resolved.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=64837&sid=3c59e60268b9efacefb5fdf5ed24d790

I hope you can help. Thanks

I started a new session. I don't see any volume messages in the event list. However, the volume fader jumped to +1.6. when I added a midi region, here's what happened

I opened Logic.

Loaded an instrument track.

Loaded Geist onto the instrument track.

Loaded a kick drum in Geist.

Pressed C and set my cycle for 1 bar.

Presses ESC and the #2 for the pencil tool.

Clicked in the arrange window to create a midi region.

The volume fader went up to +1.6

At the moment, the event list is empty and I have all the different criteria (for lack of a better word) selected, such as Progr. Change, Notes, Syst. Exclusive selected.

I'm hoping I can resolve this. Thanks

A picture is attached

801453621_Screenshot2011-10-26at10_25_49AM.thumb.png.d9befad16f03f84d71e971be57218d02.png

Is the new session based on a clean template?

Before you say 'Yes' I think you should examine it to be sure.

You may have residual midi control issues that will not show up as track automation.

Are you using the pencil tool to write in your parts?

Can you do this procedure by creating a midi region and using a Logic drum kit?

One way for anyone to find out more is if you upload an empty session so that someone can duplicate this issue.

am following this thread carefully...

this has happened to me for some time (since my time on 10.6.x), and still, on Lion.

i DO have a midi controller, assumed that was the problem.

track levels occasionally and randomly jump up (usually .3 to 1.2db).

am used to just resetting the levels...but it IS annoying...

am following this thread carefully...

this has happened to me for some time (since my time on 10.6.x), and still, on Lion.

i DO have a midi controller, assumed that was the problem.

track levels occasionally and randomly jump up (usually .3 to 1.2db).

am used to just resetting the levels...but it IS annoying...

Agreed, it's a pain but you get used to it. (sort of)

I'll try and use the default template and see if that helps

I just reset the filter on the event list. Thanks for that tip

I also launched Logic using a brand new default template.

The volume fader still jumped. This time it jumped to +1.4. The event list is empty

Oh well, it's not working out for me. Maybe in an update this will be fixed. I have other DAWs so it's not that serious

Thanks for trying

Does this happen even if you delete all regions from the Arrange area?

Do you have any MIDI devices connected? Can you disconnect them and see if that solves your problem?

Your problem is either a MIDI device sending MIDI data, or MIDI data on the track, or automation data on the track. It just HAS to be one of those three - it can't be anything else.

Ideas:

What was the very last thing you did before the fader jumped. (Please note carefully exactly what you did...)

Did you add Geist before it jumped? (Geist is a software based Drum Machine) If so don't add that but add a standard logic software instrument like the piano and record some notes to see if that causes the fader to jump

If it does jump using the Piano instrument then;

If you have any midi controllers, disconnect them and do the same thing again using the Step Input keyboard (Options/step input keyboard) to play a note or notes if needed and watch carefully to see if the fader jumps this time around.

I am pretty certain it won't if you have disconnected all midi controllers and you are not using Geist.... Am I correct? If I am wrong, then again... what was the very last thing you did before the fader jumped?

Having this same problem, i dont think its a midi controller issue...Its got to be a bug in the software

No way that Logic "spontaneously" alters any fader setting - I absolutely agree with what David said earlier: "Your problem is either a MIDI device sending MIDI data, or MIDI data on the track, or automation data on the track. It just HAS to be one of those three - it can't be anything else."

Okay I'm willing to back track a bit ... it "might" be to do with Mackie(!) or a combination of Logic's interface to it. I removed the Mackie controller in Logic's system preferences/controllers.. Then restarted Logic and let it "discover" the controller device again. Been playing the suspect song for last 30 mins and no problems. Let's hope.....

I would never say 'never' to a possible bug caused by a combination of things interacting..... but so far, I'm leaning towards errant events cause by flaky drivers under Lion.... as I recall a similar situation arising when drivers had to be re-written/modified for use with Snow Leopard and similar weird things happened in Logic that in the end, were all seemingly resolved by further driver updates from Mackie and M-Audio, to name two companies especially affected, iirc...

Having this same problem, i dont think its a midi controller issue...Its got to be a bug in the software

No way that Logic "spontaneously" alters any fader setting - I absolutely agree with what David said earlier: "Your problem is either a MIDI device sending MIDI data, or MIDI data on the track, or automation data on the track. It just HAS to be one of those three - it can't be anything else."

I hate to be that guy who says read my original post, but, read my original post.

I have no midi controllers hooked up and no automation on my tracks.

Also, this problem is not exclusive to instantiating Geist. It happens when I load other AUs. Or, it might happen when I move an audio region. Or, it happens when I adjust a parameter on Logic's compressor. It really is random.

I use Logic on my laptop, which has no midi device or third party audio card connected to it. I tried a session last night with only Logic's plug-ins, and the faders still jumped.

With all that said, I've had Logic for some time now but it rarely gets used. I did not notice this problem when I first installed the program. My MacBook Pro has been updated several times through Apple's automatic updates. I'm curious if the most recent update from apple caused this.

It really is random.

Ok.. so to help identify what is going on.. as was detailed in a similar thread..

We need the following done..

Screenshots please!

1. Event list (E)

2. Automation Event list (cmd-ctrl-E)

3. Peripheral Hardware (USB, FireWire, PCI(e) cards) list (via System Profiler)

So next time it happens.. please take those screen shots exactly as listed and them post them up here please..

Also, out of curiosity... if you are not using any external devices or controllers, how are you entering midi data?

Cheers..

It really is random.

Ok.. so to help identify what is going on.. as was detailed in a similar thread..

We need the following done..

Screenshots please!

1. Event list (E)

2. Automation Event list (cmd-ctrl-E)

3. Peripheral Hardware (USB, FireWire, PCI(e) cards) list (via System Profiler)

So next time it happens.. please take those screen shots exactly as listed and them post them up here please..

Also, out of curiosity... if you are not using any external devices or controllers, how are you entering midi data?

Cheers..

I'll do that tonight when I get home and get back on Logic to try and reproduce the problem.

How do I enter midi? I use the pencil tool and command + click when entering midi notes.

But honestly, I mostly work with audio loops and one shots. However, I do use Geist's or Maschine's step sequencer to make drum patterns then I drag and drop the pattern into Logic's arrange window. If I like it, I bounce it to audio

Ok.. I asked that question because Shivers asked some other questions which I think you may have missed...

One way for anyone to find out more is if you upload an empty session so that someone can duplicate this issue.

Answering the first and following the last one would help too....

Oh.. and if you use Midi loops or any other imported Midi data... those can cause this issue as was identified in the other thread on this issue...

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=77393&highlight=

(See the last couple of entries...)

Ok.. I asked that question because Shivers asked some other questions which I think you may have missed...

Answering the first and following the last one would help too....

Oh.. and if you use Midi loops or any other imported Midi data... those can cause this issue as was identified in the other thread on this issue...

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=77393&highlight=

(See the last couple of entries...)

yeah, I can upload a session. Great idea

Ok, here we go. I just opened Logic, new template. I created an audio track. I Pressed B to launch the browser, clicked on Browser and then went to preview a loop. The volume fader on my audio track went down to -0.1.

No midid devices are connected, no audio card is connected. I'm attaching a screen shot, and also uploading the file I was working with.

Thanks

A

295846659_Screenshot2011-10-28at3_00_44PM.thumb.png.e3a1f253a7a72b0814edb21c8dea81d6.png

VolumeIssues.zip

Yes, tried to with no issues at all. No moving of faders.. no nothing. Behaved completely normally for me so...

Here's an off the wall thought... Faulty trackpad (or mouse?) sending out superfluous signals that some how move your faders?

If you have absolutely nothing else plugged into your laptop (absolutely nothing audio related or not?) I cannot think of anything else that would cause this issue that cannot be replicated here at least....

Well, one other thing.. I notice you are using some third party wave files.. Cannot think why this would cause any similar issue but.. Can you try creating a project that just uses the audio/midi loops that comes with Logic rather than anything else 3rd party wise and see if you get the same issue?

• 1 year later...
Has anyone solved this problem yet? its driving me mad, I cant figure it out. please help.

Have you tried all the suggestions in this thread yet? Most of the time those issues are due to either external equipment sending MIDI data, or some form of automation (region based or track based) on the track.

Please let us know how you've troubleshot your issue so far - and if you haven't troubleshot it yet, start trying the suggestions in this thread.