Left hand channel strip versus drop menu in arrange page

druw

Hello all,

Maybe i missed a bit in the manual but i'm a little confused. I use Logic 7.2 and i get caught out sometimes because i can choose the track type (say audio track 6) in the left channel strip view and then go into the track on the arrange page and change the channel on the dropdown box there (say audio track 7) but the track stays the same in the left channel; now the track has 2 audio tracks assigned to it!! Is this a bug and which has the priority?Also if i wanted to make the the track a Bus channel in the left strip i can choose any of the 64 i have available but in the arrange channel box i only have 8 available, if i want more i have to add them in the environment.

Is the moral of the story to only use the lefthand channel box?? If so why be able to do it 2 ways which confuses things as they don't change together?? Am i being an idiot?? Am i fussing over nothing??

druw... it's a little more complicated than you think:

In Logic, you have a certain number of Audio Objects. Audio Objects are then assigned channels (such as 'Track 1', or 'Aux 1', or 'Output 1-2'). They are also named (such as, respectively, 'Audio 1', or 'Aux 1', or 'Out 1-2').

When you click hold on the name of an Audio Object in the track list of the Arrange window, you are presented with a drop down menu of all the objects available in your Environment. You can reassign another Audio Object to that track.

When you click on the channel parameter of a particular Audio Object (on the left, in the Object parameter box), you can reassign that Object to any of the available channels on your system. This will, however, not rename the Audio Object for you. So you end up with aberrations such as an Audio Object named 'Inst 1' which has been reassigned to a channel 'Aux 1'. The object is really an Aux object now, but its name remains 'Inst 1'. That's why I NEVER recommend changing an object's channel in the object parameter box in the left of the Arrange window unless you know exactly what you're doing.

The correct ways to assign a new object to a track is to click hold on its name in the track list, drag and drop it from the environment or double-click its name in the Track Mixer.

Great!! i think that clears it up for me, for everything to match up and all run smoothly i'll assign objects one of your ways and as for the Bus channels i'll add more in my environment in my autoload song. Big thanks from across the pond!!