Ultrabeat Multi-out/Multi-timbral Confusion

Andyreww

Hi All,

I'm confused with Ultrabeat Multi-out/Multi-timbral - hope someone can help/answer my questions.

I normally load multiple instances of UB one for each drum type (Kick, Snare, Hats etc). This gives me one track in the arrange page (in which I create a midi region) and one channel in the mixer - to insert effects etc). I've found this gives a lot of flexibility as for each drum type I have a mixer channel, an arrange track and can do anything with regions on the tracks as the music track progresses.

I tried to use a multi-out instance of UB and I can create Aux channels in the mixer by pressing the "+" button on the main UB channel. These are auxiliaries to the Main Loop in UB and therefore; you can't put midi regions in the track (after selecting Create/Select Arrange Track).

Q: Per the info above Multi-out in UB is to allow Aux mixer channels to be created for inserting effects/automation on UB channels. You can't use arrange tracks (using Create/Select Arrange Track) to have midi region trigger UB channels?

I then tried to use a Multi-timbral instance of UB that created tracks in the arrange page and allowed me to trigger individual drum channels in UB using midi-regions. (Thumbs up so far). Now I can't create mixer channels so that I can insert individual effects on (for example the kick only).

Q: When using multi-timbral is there a way to create mixer channels for the multi-timbral tracks?

Hop this makes sense...

Andy

OK, you've got all the ingredients, you just need to combine them together.

You don't actually need to create multitimbral tracks for UB since each voice responds to a specific MIDI note, not MIDI channel.

Load up the multi-output version of UB. Select the track in the Arrange. From the Track menu, choose New with same Channel Strip/Instrument.

Open the Track Header Configuration and set it up as shown in my pic here. This lets you have the channel strip name on the left and the track name on the right. So you can rename the channel strip UB1 and the track to Kick. On the newly created track, rename it Snare, for example.

These new tracks you're creating don't know jack about what output the kick or snare is going to. You need to set that within the plug-in. These tracks just help you keep your regions separate and organized for each drum voice.

Now create new aux's and assign whatever drum voices you want to them. You can create tracks for those aux channels or not.

Tracknaming.jpg.5e2b0baf5782981f2d9f3546bf005f81.jpg

Perfectly normal. You can have as many tracks as you like pointing to a given instrument object or channel strip. If you do all your drum editing in the piano roll, for example, then this works OK. You can shift-select/unselect multiple regions and have them show or not show in the editor. However, that's not the case in the Hyper Editor, (Logic's drum editor). You will need to have all events on the same track to have them all show up in the same hyperset.

Perfectly normal. You can have as many tracks as you like pointing to a given instrument object or channel strip. If you do all your drum editing in the piano roll, for example, then this works OK. You can shift-select/unselect multiple regions and have them show or not show in the editor. However, that's not the case in the Hyper Editor, (Logic's drum editor). You will need to have all events on the same track to have them all show up in the same hyperset.

Ahh ok, thanks for this - I rarely use hyper editor so I'm set. Thanks for all you help! Very enlightening...

Andy