Advanced Environment features

Rick Subia

I've recently become more interested in doing things from the environment. My previous experience with it has been with setting up arpeggiators, etc. However, I'm finding videos on youtube where people are actually assembling sequencers in the environment. I'm interested to know if there are more possibilities that open up in the way of synthesis when utilizing this tool . Does anyone have some resources that would aid me in learning more of the esoteric features of the environment?

Many thanks,

Rick

The environment is used to generate and manipulate either MIDI messages or Logic's own MIDI-like fader events and meta events. Any of these messages can be used to manipulate parameters of channel strips and (especially) plugins. So in this respect, these events can be used to manipulate audio processors but can't be used to process audio directly. For example, it's possible to build something in the environment that would (say) provide timed, random values to change the frequency of a ring modulator, or create a pattern generator that would cause the carrier frequency of an EFM synth to switch octaves up and down (basically, an LFO). So with that in mind, please post back with some ideas about what you'd like to see the environment do and I'm sure it'll stir the interest of our resident environment aficionados!