Is this possible with the Environment/EXS Builder?

Dante310

Hey guys I am looking to build a custom EXS instrument which I could use your help with. If someone can show me the way with this I will be happy to post the template once its done and I think this would be useful for all of us as musicians.

Right now I'm learning the piano; as the first instrument I've ever learned it is coming slowly, needless to say. Nevertheless, I recognize how important the use of major and minor chords is in a good composition, so here is what i'm wondering about:

is it possible for me to build an exs "chord" instrument so that when I press certain keys (lets say C4, as the first example), it will play C Major chord (in other words, is it possible to set the exs to trigger C, E, and G when I press C4), and so on to play all of the major and minor triads simply by pressing one assigned key for each? This would help me, and I imagine many others who aren't skilled pianists, to use more elaborate chord progressions in our songs. Any help is very appreciated.

Hi Dante310. Check page 232 in the Reference manual. What you're describing is handled by an object in the Environment called a "Chord Memorizer." It's not unique to EXS, but it can, of course, be cabled in a chain to an EXS instrument.

With it, you can easily tell C to play C, E, and G. One limitation is that the same source key in different octaves triggers the same target notes. In other words, if you set source C3 to trigger target C3, E3, and G3, then C4 will trigger C4, E4, and G4. So you'd need two Chord Memorizers to do both major and minor.

Hi Dante310. Check page 232 in the Reference manual. What you're describing is handled by an object in the Environment called a "Chord Memorizer." It's not unique to EXS, but it can, of course, be cabled in a chain to an EXS instrument.

With it, you can easily tell C to play C, E, and G. One limitation is that the same source key in different octaves triggers the same target notes. In other words, if you set source C3 to trigger target C3, E3, and G3, then C4 will trigger C4, E4, and G4. So you'd need two Chord Memorizers to do both major and minor.

Logic never ceases to amaze me. Thanks so much for the help.