Logic sounds more TAPEY than PT to me- yeah I said it

babydaddymusic

I've spent some time testing this- listening in various places.

I feel that Pro Tools has a mid, high mid thing whereas Logic sounds more like a 70's record- almost like a tape thing.

I'm using the same converter which is an Apogee Ensemble

Before that, I would track drums with a Profire 2626 in Logic and then track everything else with my Apogee Duet.

One time I tracked a song with the 2626 and stayed in protools and it just has more of an edge than the Logic songs recorded around the same time period.

I know people debate this a lot- I am not alone, for sure-

I've wondered if it has to do with my workflow in Logic, etc... but I use a lot of the same plugins (Waves SSL and CLA compressors)

Anyone else found this to be true?

Actually, I hear it too. Somewhere between Duct tape and Scotch.

Duct is called "gaffer" over here, and the different name does actually add a bit more "tapeyness" to the sound!

Duct/Gaffer is good stuff....need to try packing tape on your mastering chain, it really glues everything together and makes it sound good...

don't know about it sounding like tape. But yes it does sound better to me than PT. Something in the high end on PT that i just don't like. And yes I'm using the same gear with both DAWs. If you can't hear a difference,please don't dog someone who does.

Peace,

Kevin

Edited by SculliD

If you can't hear a difference,please don't dog someone who does.

It's not so much about whether there's a difference or not, folks who hear an appreciable difference between DAWs (once pan law is accounted for) will stick to their beliefs no matter what evidence is put before them. I'm fine with that, it doesn't affect me.

Maybe it's the 48bit mixing engine vs. the 32bit floating point or whatever, I don't know, I'm not a scientist.

The "dogging" ( :shock: ) was more because I don't know what could possibly be said here that hasn't been said a million times already on gearslutz.

I'll leave you with my favourite word on the subject:

OhGod.jpg.91c142c2d3dcdf98c08831535f022938.jpg

Maybe it's the 48bit mixing engine vs. the 32bit floating point or whatever, I don't know, I'm not a scientist.

I thought PT had just recently gone 32f entirely now? (with quotes on Avid's pages saying things like "PT sounds soo much better now"... go figure... :rolleyes:)

I thought PT had just recently gone 32f entirely now? (with quotes on Avid's pages saying things like "PT sounds soo much better now"... go figure... :rolleyes:)

Well, that's another nail in the coffin for the Pro Tools vs. Logic debate then.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The HD hardware is still 48-fixed.

But when next generation hits the fan it's all 32-bit.

The most hilarious about it is all the fanboys that have stated time after time that 48-bit is superior. Suddenly they are all changing their mind. 8)

i realized a long time ago, it doesn't matter. my old production partner made great music in fruity loops. another collab uses some pre-apple version of logic on a ridiculously-old mac, but his band sounds amazing.

it's the END RESULT that matters; sh*t produced in protools is still sh*t.

and something great is always great, no matter how it was made.

Actually, I hear it too. Somewhere between Duct tape and Scotch.

Yes, to fully appreciate it, you first drink the Scotch.

And remember the immortal words of Red Green, (the Canadian Comedian)

"Crinkled duct tape is a sign of poor workmanship!"

I've never had Logic crinkle my duct tape. So far anyway.