Recording track with Follow tempo

Headrc

OK ...once again Logic has been frustrated ...I want to record and have a track follow tempo so I can create apple loops, create bounces have them sync in playback in Mainstage etc. .....no matter what I do ...the inspector does not give me the option to choose follow tempo when recording. All I can do is choose that option after I record ....and then when I try to create an appe loop it only gives me the one-shot option ... indicating that the tempo info is not with the file. I had a similar problem with creating a bounce and using it for playback in Mainstage. So obviously I am doing something wrong and the recordings I am making are not being stamped with tempo information. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, RH

Hi

All audio recordings made in Logic 9 have the recorded tempo embedded within the file. There is no need to enable Follow Tempo for this to happen.

If you are trying to make 'loops' that will work in the Playback plugin in Mainstage, all you need to do is enable Sync Mode and choose a Flex mode.

If you are trying to make AppleLoops for other purposes, there are some restrictions; the Region must be an exact number of beats, audio loops can only be 32 (?) beats long, etc.

CCT

Hi ...thank you for the reply. However all this information is what I discovered in the manual .....and I have examined and cross examined what I am doing. I have a region that is four bars long in 4/4 time ...when I try to make an apple loop of it all I get is the choice for a one shot. Additionally on another composition I created a bounce of it and when I loaded it into Playback in Mainstage .....the sync option was unavailable and I assume that is because there is no tempo information with it. So I am lost in what I have set up wrong .....

Hi

Perhaps you could try importing the 'Bounce' into a new Logic project to check that the tempo info is present. On Import, Logic should ask if you want to use the 'embedded' tempo.

You could also use the Options:Tempo: Import (or Export or Remove) to establish that the tempo info is there.

Regarding making AppleLoops, you should double check that the region is exactly the right length using the Event List.

HTH

CCT

Hi again ..thank you very much for the response ....I have tried importing the bounce ...there is no tempo info ...and double checked the length for the apple loop ...it is 4 bars ...so still no luck in discovering the problem. Is there something in setting up a project (I have juts loaded a multitrack template and set inputs etc.) that I may need to do to have the tempo stamped with the audio? Or is this supposedly automatic?

I am using Snow Leopard OSX ....and I am on Logic Pro 9.03. I have tried bouncing in MP3, Wav and AIF...no tempo info in any of them that I can find....

Hmmm

Firstly.... mp3's will not work for this

Secondly, there never was a version 9.0.3?????

It really would help if you filled out the details of your system, as per the Forum guidelines

Perhaps you can upload a copy (cut down if need be) of the offending project so that I can check it here.

CCT

Ok ...I typed that wrong ..sorry ...I am using Logic 9.1.3. I see there are some updates since then so I will upload those as well. Here is my current status ...I created a whole new project last night without using one of Logic Pro's templates for multitrack and built the project form the ground up myself. I recorded a segment that I then wanted to create an apple loop of ...which I would then open in Mainstage Playback. The good news was that I was successful in creating an Apple Loop that was not a one shot. I have no idea why using the Logic Pro template was unsuccessful at performing this task ....in fact it was the exact same segment that I wanted to create an apple look of ...I just re-recorded it in a new project that I created from the ground up. One thing ... then for the life of me I could not find that Apple loop under the name that I had given it in Finder. I finally had to use the export Audio in Region (?) command to create a file of that loop that I could find in Finder and load in Mainstage. I am now confused on that.

Hi

Sounds like some progress??

Note that you do NOT need to make an AppleLoop in order to import into Playback.. it works fine with Wav, Aif or CAF files bounced from Logic.

One thing ... then for the life of me I could not find that Apple loop under the name that I had given it in Finder. I finally had to use the export Audio in Region (?) command to create a file of that loop that I could find in Finder and load in Mainstage. I am now confused on that.

AppleLoops made within Logic are stored in :Library:Audio:Apple Loops:User Loops

CCT

Hi

Again... you do NOT need an AppleLoop for Playback to work in sync...

from the MainStage Manual:

"Using the Playback Sync, Snap To, and Play From Parameters

The Sync, Snap To, and Play From pop-up menus control various aspects of playback and synchronization of the audio file.

• Sync pop-up menu: Controls whether playback is synchronized with the concert tempo. When Sync is off, the audio file plays at its recorded tempo. When Sync is on, the file plays at the current tempo of the concert.

Note: Only audio files that contain tempo information will play back at the MainStage concert tempo when Sync is active. If the file contains no tempo information, the Sync parameter is disabled."

All you need is an aif, wav or CAF with the tempo info embedded, which should be happening automatically, and Sync enabled within Playback

CCT

Yes I knew that as well ...but I got the impression you had to have an apple loop to have it loop in playback .....at any rate ...I have accomplished the small thing I needed to do for now ...and I really appreciate your help. Sure took a while to do what I could do with a hardware looper in like five minutes though .....

I will post here again if I find more of these tempo issues when trying to do this type of work.