which eq to use for vocals (linear phase, etc.)?

logician

Which EQs provided by Logic Pro should be used for Vocals?

I'm confused about whether to use the Linear Phase or another one.

Would it be different for male or female voices?

Also, to get rid of low rumble non-voice stuff, which is the best to use (the hi pass?, which freq cutoff, order, smoothing values)?

And, what is the proper order in which they should be applied (I'm guessing the hiPass first, then EQ)?

Thanks!

Which EQs provided by Logic Pro should be used for Vocals?

I'm confused about whether to use the Linear Phase or another one.

Would it be different for male or female voices?

Also, to get rid of low rumble non-voice stuff, which is the best to use (the hi pass?, which freq cutoff, order, smoothing values)?

And, what is the proper order in which they should be applied (I'm guessing the hiPass first, then EQ)?

Thanks!

There is no rule where to use Channel EQ or Linear Phase EQ. Thing is that Linear Phase EQ sounds "smoother" 'cos it doesn't shift the phase of EQ'ed bandwidth but it also uses more dsp resources of your machine to achieve this "smoothness". The difference in sound between Channel EQ and Linear Phase EQ is most prominent when you EQ a whole mix. If you haven't mixed a lot it might be hard to hear the difference between these EQs in the vocal track at first.

Logic has many different EQs and filters since it has to be downwards compatible to older Logic versions. Before we had Channel EQ we had Fat EQ and DJ EQ and those separate filters. Also this is a question of dsp efficiency but nowadays it is quite hard to choke your modern computer with just EQ's.

So when choosing the right EQ you need to think what you want to achieve with it. I usually just use Channel EQ 'cos it has so many nice features and it is extremely easy to use. I use Linear Phase EQ if I need to cut low frequencies out for example from overheads or if I need to boost high frequencies with the shelf because using Linear Phase EQ the result does not sound so "harsh" but it's up to you and the sound you're after.

You don't have to choose a HiPass filter first and then instantiate Channel EQ since Channel EQ has built-in HiPass and LoPass filters.

Also there is no rule for cutoff frequency when filtering low "rumble" you judge this by ear and by watching the Channel EQ built-in spectrum analyzer (just remember to put it's analyze resolution to high to get more precise low frequency metering). Explanation above also concerns the slope of the EQ band and Q. You set them by using your ears. Usually low Q values sound more natural but if you need to make "surgical" EQ'ing then use high Q values to affect only very narrow band.

I suggest that you read from the Plug-in Reference manual about different EQ's and just start using them.

Any help?

i

TIP! You can "swap" between Channel EQ and Linear Phase EQ since Logic "remembers" their settings (no need to copy/paste settings). This means that when you have done your EQ'ing just click-hold the EQ insert slot and change the EQ to another one to hear whether your settings sound better with the other EQ type.