Creating MIDI Groove Template causes a crash

steveastanga

Well, the title says it all.

I'm no expert on MIDI groove templates (MGT) but a video tutorial whetted my appetite to give it a go. I've checked and re-checked and I believe I'm doing it all correctly however, once the MGT has been created an unexpected 'Quantize' wind opens, Logic locks up and I don't appear to have any other option than force quitting. It's a shame because the created midi region is spot on. But, the project crashes from thereon in so, it's a show stopper.

Luckily I was just practicing the technique, and not working on any serious project.

I'm running the latest version of Logic in Lion and it's not a processor or HD issue as I have ample resource on my Mac Mini Server.

Thanks David. I'll give this a try at some point however, I've since been wondering whether Midi groove templates hold any advantage over standard groove templates created via flex time i.e. is it a redundant technique?

Not sure what you mean Steve, there are no such thing as "MIDI groove templates" or "standard groove templates", there are only "groove templates". Wether the templates were created by notes in a MIDI region or transients in a flexed audio region doesn't change a thing.

Sorry for the confusion. I guess I'm hanging too much on terminology.

In the training movie that I got the inspiration from, the guy runs through creating groove templates from a midi region (what I referred to as a standard groove template). In the next section he converts from an audio region (via one of the sample editor's 'Factory' functions ['audio to midi groove template, I think]) and thereafter calls it a MIDI groove template.

As both of these processes were new to me, and are quite different, that was how my notes differentiated them.

So now, I'm wondering whether the use of Flex time to pick up your transients, negates the need to use the 'convert audio to midi' stage in the Sample Editor, as it makes a quantize window (with 'make groove template' option) available.

Sorry if this isn't clear. I'm a novice, but learning, hopefully.