Bouncing to Mono: Is there a better way?

ski

After much head-scratching I think I've found a good way to bounce stereo tracks to mono, but it's rather a pain in the butt. Wondering if there's yet a betterer way than this. Scenario:

• stereo instrument track (no stereo/mono button on channel strip)

• stereo output NOT set to 0 dB (for this example, -8.2)

Method:

1) insert a gain plug on the instrument (end of the chain if there are other insert effects). Enable the gain plug's mono button. This makes the sound mono at the source. Then, adjust the gain to match the Stereo Output (in this case, set the gain to -8.2). This is necessary for the reason I'm about to describe...

2) click the stereo icon on the Stereo Output to change it to mono. The fader now changes to 0 dB! This is why it's necessary to compensate by setting the gain plug's gain in the channel.

3) do the bounce but ONLY by clicking the bounce button the channel, and here's why... If I use the key command for Bounce, the resulting file will be stereo!! But if clicking the Bnce button on the Output, the resulting file will indeed be mono (bug?)

4) when done, change the Stereo Output back to stereo

Whew! Seems like a lot of work just to do a simple bounce-to-mono operation. Confirmation of the difference in behavior between clicking Bnce or using the bounce key command, comments, a better method, etc. all welcomed!

Your method is fine.

1) insert a gain plug on the instrument (end of the chain if there are other insert effects). Enable the gain plug's mono button. This makes the sound mono at the source. Then, adjust the gain to match the Stereo Output (in this case, set the gain to -8.2). This is necessary for the reason I'm about to describe...

You could simply drag the fader down on your mono output channel strip to -8.2? So: click the format button your stereo output channel strip to make it mono, then when the fader jumps to 0, drag it down to -8.2.

3) do the bounce but ONLY by clicking the bounce button the channel, and here's why... If I use the key command for Bounce, the resulting file will be stereo!! But if clicking the Bnce button on the Output, the resulting file will indeed be mono (bug?)

Bug, design flaw, or even design decision, call it what you want, but when you choose File > Bounce, or use the bounce key command, or bounce button in the toolbar, you are always, always bouncing outputs 1-2. Keep in mind, if you had multiple output channel strips in your mixer, those ways to access the bounce window cannot "tell" Logic which output you want to bounce - so it always chooses Out 1-2 in that case. The only way around that would be to have Logic ask you what output you want to bounce every time you click the toolbar Bounce button, press the key command or choose File > Bounce.

Thanks David!

You could simply drag the fader down on your mono output channel strip to -8.2?

If, after setting the mono-fied Stereo Output's level above or below zero, the sound ends up being panned to one side or the other. Example: if the original sound is stereo, but centered, moving the mono Output's fader below zero dB moves the sound to the right, and vice versa. It's unnerving to hear that, so I've never even bothered to see what the results of such a bounce would be. That's why I decided to make the sound mono at the source.

If, after setting the mono-fied Stereo Output's level above or below zero, the sound ends up being panned to one side or the other. Example: if the original sound is stereo, but centered, moving the mono Output's fader below zero dB moves the sound to the right, and vice versa. It's unnerving to hear that, so I've never even bothered to see what the results of such a bounce would be. That's why I decided to make the sound mono at the source.

Gotcha. And anyway you'll have to use the Gain plug-in to make the signal mono, so you're not really wasting any time by also using it for your level adjustment.

I'm afraid... your method is the best one! :wink:

Yeah, great suggestion... :roll:

OK, seriously though, that's a good suggestion, but for me the downside is that it creates double the number of audio files at the outset. Then I'd have to delete all the stereo files. --> :roll: tedious :roll: <--

I've found a method that lets me do it in one (ish) step. Ultimately I think that a program as [pro] as Logic should have a function that allows for easy bouncing-down of stereo to mono. It's not rocket science... :roll:

Or maybe it is? :shock:

Cheers,

Ski