Bootable USB drive procedure

I need some clarification on the following process on do's and dont's being its the first time I'm doing this...I rather be super careful then super sorry in the end :wink:

So here's the question...

I wanna install Snow Leopard on an external USB drive. Then install Logic/Garageband on that drive and finally my interface drivers.

First I need to reformat the drive to Mac Journaled. After that's done, on goes SL and finally the drivers for the interface.

Now here's the part I need clarification on:

(This will be done using a Macbook Pro.)

So, the USB external drive will get hooked up to the MBP USB port. And the interface will go into the MBP firewire port.

Or does my interface HAVE to be plugged into an external drive with a firewire port in the back?

Thanks

Or does my interface HAVE to be plugged into an external drive with a firewire port in the back? [/b]

Thanks

:?

No. Whatever gave you that idea?

So the procedure I listed is the right one?

As for what gave me that idea, probably just too much reading about externals and what they come with now... or the late hours :lol:

Remember USB is slower in constant throughput than FW800, so why are you doing this experiment?

Already wiped the drive and installed. Works faster then the internal even. :D

As for the experiment, its more for tests. I need a clean system to do audio tests to clear up the notion that my internal system has something effecting the coreaudio with my dropouts.

Better to do an external boot then to wipe my internal system since the last thing I would want.... is losing all my files and projects.

I'm surprised how fast this is working on USB. I can only imagine how fast it would work with the new systems using thunderbolt. :shock: