stop-time midi keyboard composition in one region

benevolentgoose

Hi,

I'd like to be able to compose midi data from the keyboard in piano roll while playback is stopped so that way I can play the chords instead of drawing in every individual note, but am having a couple minor difficulties and would also appreciate any tips/suggestions on the best way to go about setting up this kind of composition.

First, every time I want to move the cursor I find I have to toggle record off to move the cursor to the next beat, and then when I toggle record back on and play a chord at the next point in time logic creates a new region for that chord rather than putting all of the chords in the same piano roll window (even though I have "merge selected regions" chosen in project settings). Is there a way to do this all in one region for easier composition or do I have to merge the side by side regions manually every time I add a chord? Also I wanted to ask if it's possible to set a default note length for when playing in stop time like this, and also if there is a way to set up a shortcut key (or one built in) to move the cursor to the next beat, or for loop based composition to move the selected cycle a beat forward (but keep the overall cycle the same length)?

Thanks,

sky