Logic Behaving Strangely

samfjsmith

No better way to describe it than in the thread title really.

Logic has been behaving really strangely for about 6 months or so. I thought 9.1.5 would fix this but it hasn't.

My current problem is as follows.

I am working on a project, 100% Audio. I have recorded 3 separate guitar tracks, used a BIP of several drum loops together from a previous project and planned to do the same with the bass line.

However, when I drag the .aif of my bass line onto an empty track, it mutes my lead guitar track. And by mute I don't mean that the blue M light comes on on the channel strip, I mean, it just won't play the audio file that is on the guitar track. No matter what I try, the lead guitar track just can't be heard during play back and when I look at the lead guitar channel strip in the mixer, it is completely dead even though there are audio recordings there. If I leave the bass channel empty (as in no audio dragged in) the lead guitar plays fine

I am absolutely bemused by all of this and I am at the end of my tether. I have googled this problem to death and haven't found anything so I thought it was about time I asked on here.

This has been happening since 9.1.3. I thought the subsequent updates would help solve this problem but they haven't changed a thing. I am currently running 9.1.5

I have done clean installs of logic twice now and still nothing has changed. Could it just be something in my settings?

do you have "Universal Track Mode" selected in Preferences/Audio?

No I don't,

I seem to remember that I unchecked that a while ago and it reduced latency (could be wrong!)

Since I posted this message 10 mins ago, if I select input monitoring or record enable a blank channel strip, the sound slows down to half speed, gets choppy and I get an error message saying "Error while trying to sync audio and midi"

do you have "Universal Track Mode" selected in Preferences/Audio?

No I don't,

I seem to remember that I unchecked that a while ago and it reduced latency (could be wrong!)

Turn it back on.

Since I posted this message 10 mins ago, if I select input monitoring or record enable a blank channel strip, the sound slows down to half speed, gets choppy and I get an error message saying "Error while trying to sync audio and midi"

If your system and setup is a mystery, it's tough to help you. Please add your Logic version, interface and system info to your signature: Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5)

However, when I drag the .aif of my bass line onto an empty track, it mutes my lead guitar track.

What method are you using to create a new empty track? If you're using the "Track->New with Same Channel Strip" command, then the symptom you describe would be normal. Multiple audio tracks cannot play through the same track channel strip at the same time.

I suggest you start a new project from the Empty Project template, not one of your templates from a previous Logic version. Bring all your audio into that new project creating new tracks.