Making overlapped audio regions both play?

Devon8822

In Logic, on an audio track, you can only play ONE audio file at the same time, no exceptions. Even when you draw a crossfade, Logic then "renders" the crossfades as a new audio file, a temporary one, called a "fade file", which then plays where the fade was drawn.

The only way to achieve what you need is to place the audio regions on different tracks.

mmm ok, Logics crossfade is the most confusing thing to use properly I have come across so far in Logic. Most of the time it just doesn't work, I am putting it on an audio track right now and its not crossfading, its just cutting out the first region when it reaches the second one. Sometimes it does work and they both crossfade. Is there a decent tutorial on this somewhere? I found some youtube tutorials but they are bad.

This is what I do for crossfades and it never fails:

I don't use the crossfade tool.

Make sure the audio regions butt up to each other, don't have them overlap (you can put "No Overlap" on the top right corner of Arrange, next to Snap).

Then select the two audio regions or as many as you want for that manner, go to the region Inspector on the left of Arrange, select Crossfade from the Fade parameter, double click to the right of that parameter and input the value you like. I usually use 5 or 10.

mmm ok, Logics crossfade is the most confusing thing to use properly I have come across so far in Logic. Most of the time it just doesn't work

I would say it's most likely pilot error: I don't find anything confusing about Logic's crossfade tool, and it works reliably 100% of the time.

To use the crossfade tool, drag it over the edge of the region, and a fade is created. That means if you only drag the crossfade tool inside a region, or over the background, nothing will happen. But if you go from inside a region to outside the region, or vice versa, then a fade will be created.

• 2 years later...
why do you want them to play on the same track? just make two tracks..... that's what's great about DAW's. you have endless tracks you can make. adding the second piece of audio you want onto another track and putting it right where you want the overlap to be is essentially the same thing you're wanting to do, but more organized.

I believe _2old4this wants two overlapping audio regions to be heard at the same time.

That's a major PITA for mixing later. Overlapping regions.... shudder!!

I mostly agree but it can be useful sometimes. For example a cross fade could now really crossfade between to takes and make it more seamless.

Anyway... It can't be done in Logic.

@_2old4this You could use folders or Track stacks to tidy things up if you want.