Logic automation and latency

karp47

I've been having this problem for a while, it becomes very noticeable when I have automation that needs to fall at an exact spot (especially with bypassing) I have included an example of a compressor and eq being bypassed at the exact start of a bar though the automation actually kicks in before the bar starts. (it sounds horrible)

I have sample accurate automation enabled and my automation is snapped to the start of the bar. It seems that a lot of people are having this problem but currently there is no solid fix.

Does anyone know of a workaround or a fix for this problem? Not sure if it can be classified as a bug or not.

Example.mp3.zip

Is there anyway you could copy your project file, isolate the track and the problem part, delete everything else, and upload that to this thread? That would make it easier to troubleshoot an issue like this.

Deleted all other tracks, removed all third party plugins (replaced bfd2 with the exs24) and removed all audio.

LPH_session.zip

Have you tried expanding the track a lot more (horizontally) and using alt drag on the node? I got it bang on 5111.

Yeah, I tried that, shouldn't matter though as I have it set to snap automation and the snap value as divisions so it should be on 5 1 1 1 exactly anyway.

I've been having this problem for a while, it becomes very noticeable when I have automation that needs to fall at an exact spot (especially with bypassing) I have included an example of a compressor and eq being bypassed at the exact start of a bar though the automation actually kicks in before the bar starts. (it sounds horrible)

I have sample accurate automation enabled and my automation is snapped to the start of the bar. It seems that a lot of people are having this problem but currently there is no solid fix.

Does anyone know of a workaround or a fix for this problem? Not sure if it can be classified as a bug or not.

I've had this happen also.

Since the bypass is kicking in before the bar starts (even though the automation node is right on the bar), move the node after the bar a little until it's doing what you want.

Karp, I finally got a chance to check out your project, and I get the same results you describe, unfortunately. I believe since plug-ins take a bit of time to process audio, bypassing them in real time as audio is being processed by them creates all sorts of issues. I tried a Channel EQ, and bypassing the individual EQ bands with the buttons at the top of the display works. Try that?

The compressor seems to be less of a problem, but still if you want more precision you could try automating the threshold or the ratio instead of the bypass.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It doesn't seem like there is any workaround that can actually accommodate accurate bypass automation so I'll either have to automate the actual plugin settings or create a new track and implement the changes from there.

Through a bit of research I found that many other DAWs actually allow you to automate the bypass setting and that it is something that Apple had improved on in Logic 9 though obviously not fully corrected. (Apparently it's less of a problem bypassing on an audio track than it is on a software instrument track)

Hopefully it's something that Apple fixes in Logic X.