Apple to stop selling boxed Logic Studio set

But you can just download what you need, when you need it, bit by bit.

...but only for as long as Apple wants to make it available to you. Combine that with the phasing out of durable offline storage (i.e. optical drives) and there's potential for trouble down the road. Backups and planning for service disruptions have always been critical, but my sense is that some folks are letting their guard down in this age of the "cloud".

--

Moose

This is exactly what I don't like about this whole "download-only" thing.I can understand it is more cost effective for Apple as the user will download the program and the parts (s)he needs from inside the program, but... when is Apple going to charge for the extras? And how much? How long will it be online for thecustomers to download? We've seen it with the DRM servers from the past; people buy something and then the DRM server is obsolete... Bye bye bought stuff. I see the same in the future for these programs. Once Apple decides they don't like Logic anymore they'll simply delete it from their Content Server, and then you crash... Where is your download?

In short.... I would like the option to get a boxed version for an additional fee (imcluding former tree manuals)..

Viv,

Kinda like they do for Lion now.. in as much as you can purchase it on a USB Drive..

I don't care about the written manuals.. They go out of date too quickly at times so I'm fine with PDFs that can easily be updated.. and I can carry them around and reference them on my iPad... but I agree with you in regards to having the program on some storable medium... (or being able to store it yourself) would be a good move.

Until then, I simply make clones of my system using CCC.. before I do any updates. Cheap'ish (depending on what you can buy external HDs for..) and effective.. and allows me to restore any older or current version back at any time if i need to do so.

Have people already downloaded the new MainStage? Logic I guess everyone simply updates through Software Update. My question is: do you get a .dmg you can install? Or is it a streamed install?

And yes, Lion can be gotten on a USB stick. Not sure if I like that though.

I see the point of .pdf files, but I just like to lay down on the couch and read a book. Somehow it feels different reading a .pdf on an iPad.

Have people already downloaded the new MainStage? Logic I guess everyone simply updates through Software Update. My question is: do you get a .dmg you can install? Or is it a streamed install?

And yes, Lion can be gotten on a USB stick. Not sure if I like that though.

I see the point of .pdf files, but I just like to lay down on the couch and read a book. Somehow it feels different reading a .pdf on an iPad.

Apparently, it's a $30 "update" to MainStage 2.2, exclusively through the Mac App Store.

I've debated picking it up at that price, but I want to keep 2.1.3 handy just in case, and it's unclear if I just need to rename the current MainStage like we would with any software update or if it'll download a second copy.

For that matter, I wonder how future updates through the MAS will be handled? Will we be able to backup the current version by the renaming process, or will the MAS detect and replace the current version of the app, renamed or not, causing us to have to use cloned drive method? I'm sure someone else has thought of this somewhere already.

When I purchased my FLUX::FullPack (in Jan. of 2011); I later happened to have conversations with their representative here, in the USA, and he mentioned that I was the first & only "box" purchaser in the USA, at that time. And I believe FLUX:: software dates back to 2008 at least :shock:

The FIRST :!:

Think that is a testimonial to the future of "Boxed Software". :twisted:

I totally miss the 3-ring binder. Paper remains, in every respect imaginable, the best format for a manual, especially when compared to the piddly excuse for a manual that apple provides now. You can dog ear pages in a paper manual, make notes and corrections, and best of all, physically remember where information is located merely by muscle memory. And you can see two pages at once in a book! Can't do any of that with a PDF or with the antiquated apple Help-based system.

I remember (I'm sure you do too) that back in the day, when Logic was updated they'd send you isolated chapters to update the manual with. Open the binder, take out the old chapters, put in the new ones. Ta da! Could it be any easier?

(A little late to your remark, but I didn't get e-mail updates on the thread like I normally do. Just read through the thread.)

I do miss the 3-ring binder concept - I don't miss the quality of the manual then for explaining things. I do like PDFs for the search feature. And all my manuals are seriously dog-eared, highlighted and margin-noted..... I was quite happy with Logic 8 where I had both.

Non-paper manuals are in no way "greener", either. On the surface it might look like it's a saving of paper, ergo a saving of trees, etc. But the reality is that the energy needed to read the manual on an electronic device creates its own forms of waste and pollution, not the least of which goes into the manufacture (and expense) of PDF reading devices like computers and iPads.

So to digress on the environmental issues, I do agree. I posted in another thread we had gotten a new washing machine - the old one cacked after 8 years. It was a front loader, used little water, etc. But if the life span of these items is 8 years compared to decades on the old style, what toll does the environment take in manufacturing/shipping/disposing three of the modern ones to one of the old school bullet-proof ones? (Answer: it's not about the environment, it's about profits...)

• 2 months later...
I personally don't see it as a stupid move, I think it's the future - I just think Apple is always a bit too early when it comes to the future. :lol:

I too have thought this for years. Apple knows what the future is, some users even know what the future will bring, but the mass majority don't know. Most ppl, not all, don't openly accept change.