Signal level for guitar inputs

I have a motu 896 hd, a zbox (impedance transformer/matcher), and logic. I may use logic's amps, i may use pod farm, depends on my mood. I've had discussions before with others about the proper input level for guitar, should it be a hot signal going into the interface, or should it be a low level guitar like signal because the amp programs are simulating amplifiers, which would traditionally get lower level signals?

I have a motu 896 hd, a zbox (impedance transformer/matcher), and logic. I may use logic's amps, i may use pod farm, depends on my mood. I've had discussions before with others about the proper input level for guitar, should it be a hot signal going into the interface, or should it be a low level guitar like signal because the amp programs are simulating amplifiers, which would traditionally get lower level signals?

Don't clip the input. The rest it up to your taste in sound.

The is a signal to noise ratio and in most cases your guitar will drown out the noise. In fact, you may never hear this noise unless you really have the channel volume cranked.

Logic has different types of noise gates and strip silence to cut out the unwanted audible noise. Normalizing a low signal will bring up the guitar levels, but will also increase the level of that floor noise.

All depends on your sound and playing style, so basically do NOT clip that input level.

1638556749_Picture1.gif.15b89dda7d36a90e347ac1367041b2fd.gif

Thank you for the detailed reply. i think my main question, was about the simulation of the guitar amp. usually a louder signal will distort amplifier model some more than a lower signal, so am I getting the proper saturation out of the model, due to the guitars input?

You can alter the gain (signal level) within Logic to optimize the input level of the amp sim. Adjust your hardware levels so that the quietest notes on the guitar are being captured. Check for clipping when playing the loudest notes/chords and adjust the levels accordingly.