Amnesia: Justine Vocal Effect possible in Logic?

Hello there, all!

I know that it's not specifically related to music, but moreso to audio in general; and who knows, I may end up using it in a song.

Any ideas on how the vocals for the Amnesia video game's DLC, Justine, was created?

In case you haven't heard it before, it comes in at 0:06 in this video (warning, contains explicit language and isn't pleasant to listen to):

Is it some form of reverse reverb with heavy source delay?

This is a really old movie effect. Originally it was done by playing a tape of the dry audio backwards, running that through reverb and recording the result. Then playing that recording backwards so that the speech was frontwards again, but the reverb backwards now.

You could easily hand crank this in Logic, but there's no specific plug-in in Logic that does this effect. There may be some 3rd party granular synth plugs that can do something similar though.

This is a really old movie effect. Originally it was done by playing a tape of the dry audio backwards, running that through reverb and recording the result. Then playing that recording backwards so that the speech was frontwards again, but the reverb backwards now.

You could easily hand crank this in Logic, but there's no specific plug-in in Logic that does this effect. There may be some 3rd party granular synth plugs that can do something similar though.

I just experimented some more, and using Logic's ENVerb with a dry signal delay, slightly longer attack, and shorter decay with a lot of release emulates this pretty well.

Here's an audio example, a reading Sander Cohen's The Wild Bunny:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1715217/enverb_reverse_example.mp3

Excuse the slight mic distortion; I used my Macbook's built-in one rather than my professional setup as I was doing a quick test.

I just experimented some more, and using Logic's ENVerb with a dry signal delay, slightly longer attack, and shorter decay with a lot of release emulates this pretty well.

Here's an audio example, a reading Sander Cohen's The Wild Bunny:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1715217/enverb_reverse_example.mp3

Sounds pretty cool, but not the same effect you were asking about. What makes the original sample so interesting is that the advance reverb correlates with the frequency range and articulation of the first syllable of each word.

Excuse the slight mic distortion; I used my Macbook's built-in one rather than my professional setup as I was doing a quick test.

No, it's not the same effect but still, what you've done there is really effective because it's so very very very CREEPY! So creepy, in fact, that I had to stop listening to it as you got more agitated in your reading because I didn't want to go to "that" place right now. (And please take that as the compliment it's intended to be).

Fader8, I've always wondered how that effect was done. Thx for sharing the secret sauce recipe.

No, it's not the same effect but still, what you've done there is really effective because it's so very very very CREEPY! So creepy, in fact, that I had to stop listening to it as you got more agitated in your reading because I didn't want to go to "that" place right now. (And please take that as the compliment it's intended to be).

Why thank you XD I've had people say that on another forum I've posted this as well, I honestly thought my nasaly voice would ruin the creepiness.

• 2 months later...

Hey Fader8,

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how to do this in Logic.

• take a track, reverse it in the sample editor to make it play backward. So if the original was:

laa dee daa, the reversed version is

aad eed aal

What was the last syllable in the original is now the first syllable in our audio file. OK, then we...

• send signal to reverb and record just the reverb signal

• the reverb is going to sound like a ghostly version of backwards audio, aad eed aal. And like our backwards original, the first syllable of the reverb'd sound is actually the last syllable of the original "laa dee daa" performance. We have to somehow reverse the order of the syllables of the reverb'd track. But first, of course, we should put the original track back to normal. So we re-reverse it and now we have:

laa dee daa (original track, now sounding normal) combined with

aad eed aal (reverse reverb)

We're not quite there yet, because the reverb'd syllables are playing in reverse order. But if we were to attempt to put this right by reversing the recorded reverb, it's just going to sound like a reverb'd version of "laa dee daa", with sharp attack transients, not backwards-sounding ones, which is not the classic effect:

laa dee daa (original track) combined with

laa dee daa (re-reversed reverb)

What we really want is:

laa dee daa (original track) combined with

aal eed aad (re-reversed reverb)

Is my analysis incorrect? Am I missing something? My brain's in a knot now!

No, since you said something about re-verb, I was just wondering and blah, blah, blah

:D

J.

:( :lol: Auch, a pun-dud... come to think of it, reverb is sort of an odd word, as verb is more a grammatical than a sonical thing, in my mind at least. And it is almost as if instruments cannot reverb, since they cannot verb to begin with... - or should I re-verb that...?

No, since you said something about re-verb, I was just wondering and blah, blah, blah

:D

J.

:( :lol: Auch, a pun-dud... come to think of it, reverb is sort of an odd word, as verb is more a grammatical than a sonical thing, in my mind at least. And it is almost as if instruments cannot reverb, since they cannot verb to begin with... - or should I re-verb that...?

:lol:

J.

EDIT: still not sure... Are you sure about this?

Look how Fayderate described it: "it was done by playing a tape of the dry audio backwards, running that through reverb and recording the result." Compare that to my "recipe". Frankly, I couldn't follow your reasoning, these kind of things can easily go wrong when trying to achieve them in the mind only. I think you did some incorrect reversing somewhere.

sigh...

OK, I'll take another look... meanwhile, try it!

OK, the faulty step is "record JUST the reverb" - you should record reversed the mix of dry AND reverb and than reverse this reverb so the reverb reverses as well as the verse itself, the net effect being that the nonreversed or rereversed reverb preceeds the source, which is also rereversed - THAT is the essence of this technique...

reversed:

aaD eeD aaL

+reverb:

aaD(aaad) eeD(eeed) aaL(aaal)

rereversed:

(laaa)Laa (deee)Dee (daaa)Daa

ps: I did... worked nicely... ;)GoMoSki ReReVerb.mp3.zip

Reversed reverbed verse