Which one of these plugin bundle seems like a better deal?

So I downloaded the demos of the fabfilter stuff months ago and LOVED them. I just noticed a few days ago that they are having a 25% off sale on their bundles, so I thought it might be a good time to invest... however waves has a 50% off sale on their bundles... one of which comes with twice the plugins and is 200 dollars cheaper...

Get this- you have to pay FIFTY dollars to try the waves demos. Absurd.

So what do you guys think? Anyone have experience with both? Obviously the waves seems like a WAY better deal but I want to get some thoughts of someone that can speak for them...

http://www.fabfilter.com/shop/index.php?article=65

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=166

Thanks!!

Most of the Waves stuff in that bundle is rather long in the tooth.

Some of the Renaissance stuff like the compressor and de-esser are still great, but the rest not so much.

The FabFilter Pro-L limiter is great, but I wouldn't buy a full bundle.

Even though it may seem like a great deal to get these bundles I recommend you don't try to save money by spending a lot of money ;-) Instead get what you really need.

Buy individual plug-ins from Waves, FabFilter, Flux, etc.

Even though it may seem like a great deal to get these bundles I recommend you don't try to save money by spending a lot of money ;-) Instead get what you really need.

+++1,000,000

:)

Yeah,bundles can be tempting. Looking at that Waves Gold bundle, (yes it's old stuff, in fact VERY old stuff) I think there are maybe 2 plug-ins in there that I might use, and then only occasionally. And to keep using them I'd have to pay Waves annual WUP fees, deal with their kludgey waveshell crap and re-instalation issues.....

So while we are on the topic, Mr. Lagerfeldt, if you had to choose between the fabfilter EQ/compressor vs the competitors like flux, which would you go for and why?

I noticed on your website you are using a bunch of the flux stuff, but is that not the fab filter EQ pictured on your screen?

Thanks!

The Flux Epure II is yer average minimum phase equalizer with a few extra features such as M/S. So I use it for its nice GUI and M/S, otherwise you might as well use Logic's Channel EQ. Despite what people some claim, the Logic Channel EQ is a perfectly fine minimum phase equalizer. I recommend you change the default 24dB/Oct HPF to a 12dB/Oct slope for less ringing though.

The DMGAudio EQuality offers several different modes, including linear phase, but the interface isn't quite intuitive enough. The FabFilter has quite a few nice features, but I have several analog equalizers I use instead, one is a solid state analog EQ capable of dual mono operation and digital automation. If you feel you need the extra features in the FabFilter then get it, otherwise I'd stick with Logic's for now.

I prefer the FabFilter Pro-L limiter to the Flux Pure Limiter, but check out the new Flux Elixir limiter before you make up your mind.

The Flux plug-ins are very versatile and quite advanced, i.e. you can truly sculpt as you please. Especially the Alchemist is a Swiss Army Knife. However, that's mostly for mastering or advanced operations.

For mixing I prefer simple stuff that is fast and very intuitive to use: a combination of Logic's bundled plug-ins and various 3rd party plug-in. Even though it's quite old I like the Waves Renaissance Comp because it's colored and has a great opto mode. Unlike the almost unusable opto mode in Logic's compressor, the Renaissance opto is fast when there's lots of gain reduction but slows down when there's less gain reduction. Great for bass and creating punch in certain sounds.

I haven't tested the FabFilter compressor, so I can't comment on that. But knowing their other stuff it's probably top notch sound. However it looks like it's falling between two stools to me.

I have an SSL X-Logic hardware comp which is pretty much indispensable for mix bus duties, so I recommend you get the Waves SSL or the UAD one, the latter being marginally better IMO but unfortunately has fiddly controls in comparison.

You'll also need an 1176 type compressor, the UAD emulation is quite close to the real deal. I have a DIY 1176 hardware compressor. Softtube makes a decent FET compressor, but it's not an 1176.

There's nothing that can replace a Crane Song STC-8 mastering compressor in software, but take a look at the Flux Solera (basically an advanced version of the Flux Pure Compressor) or the Alysia Alpha Compressor.

It depends on what your trying to do... Program or record

The waves bundle can almost make up for a lack of outboard hardware, for a fraction of the cost. A huge benefit to any recording studio.

However,

Fabfilters plug-ins like: Volcano, Timeless and Twin 2 are, simply put: some of the most innovative, fun and powerful plug-ins that any programmers studio could possibly include, in their arsenal, on a cash strapped budget.

Recording: Waves

Programming: Fabfilters

+1

I did get some FabFilter bundle a long time ago and so have Timeless, ProC comp, Volcano and the One and Twin synths. But what do I use?

ProC on almost every project and a bit of Timeless here and there for particular FX that I can't seem to get any other way. I've used the other plugs only rarely. Not that they aren't great, that's just my object lesson in buying bundles!